Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New to Modeling: Semi-low poly Character Model

Hello, I'm new to modeling and tried my hand at a human for once. I'm going to try hand painting him in the next day or so but I was hoping I could get some c&c first.
I'm making him as a base human male that I'll be modeling numerous armor sets on top of. Thank you in advance!

ygkimNA.jpg

Replies

• TophT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TophT polycounter lvl 8
    Try not to model people in such a stiff pose. The stiffer he looks at this stage the stiffer he'll look in game. I'd also take a look at some human proportions and anatomy, there are some key landmarks out of place that are throwing the whole piece off. Keep working at it, it's coming along.
  • JamesB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought most people modeled in the t-pose though, should I avoid doing that? I know I didn't put the arms straight out in this I was just worried if I did I'd make them too long. I'll compare him to some real people and make some adjustments. I think the body can use some work. I removed a lot of polygons from his chest since posting this but I may bring them back and try to make it look better.
    Thanks, TophT!
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    The first thing you should work on, is the topology (then the anatomy). There are many examples for proper topologies, in the related section on the polycount wiki.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You totally should do proper topology. Otherwise it is meaningless.
    Be mindful, though. Some topology are suited for sculpting, and some are for animating.

Here are some examples.
    16bcc58549a42f7eafc1a89b8f48328a.jpg
    219815.jpg
    JeongSeongHwa_swordmaster_joints.gif