Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need some career critique, direction

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Short intro(feel free to skip, nothing important):
Started doing 3d as a hobby in 2010, got into some mods and a bit of freelancing by 2012, got into univ for information system engineering in 2013, just dropped it as its not my thing at all. Meanwhile I continued working on 3D and I even managed to work for two month for a local 3D VR studio, I dropped it cause I was mainly working on retouching assets that where already done from turbosquid, etc and there was not much chance to improve.

Situation:
Now I have been reading a lot, I know how hard it is for hard surface artist to stand out, I know its hard work but if I have managed to get some hours per week to continue doing this while I was at univ, even if that meant sacrificing sleep I know I can work really hard to get it.
I have read a lot of advices given to other people, portfolio critiques, etc, but I would really like some critics from the guys that are contracting people and people who review portfolios in the industry.
Some of my main questions are:
*Is there a real difference between using artstation and a own website for the portfolio? Does a portfolio get some extra consideration if its my own website? Because I am really looking forward artstation simplicity and social features vs a custom portfolio.
*Where do I need to focus on the most? what am I missing and need to fix?
*What should I aim into with my next pieces?
*Am I going the right way?

Heres where I am currently at(top newest, bottom oldest):

552cb645f0.png
ca0a7c063d.png
885cca3e19.png
9a0e227a3c.png

Portfolio I built some months ago: artbymaxi.com

Current Wip:
a295e827cf.jpg
6bbf02a807.jpg

Goals:
*I am now jumping into a huge push to improve, working on as much personal projects as I can and trying to get some freelance in between to support me as I go. Hopefully being able to log 8 hours of 3d workout at least 5 days a week
*I am aiming at having a new portfolio ready by the end of September/October of this year.
*Hopefully go abroad by the end of 2016 to work in the industry if everything goes right

Thanks for taking your time to read this guys! :thumbup: I hope the text is quite ok as i kinda suck at writing stuff

Replies

• maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks a lot Nerf Bat Ninja! Ill make sure to make better breakdowns of my models.
    I got a couple more questions i was just thinking about.
    How is packing your uvs with uv layout seen? I know how to pack my uvs by hand and have done it for several clients when they prefeer it but is it bad to use it to pack personal pices that you will later display your uvs?
    How important is linked in? I never looked much into it, i just snapped some work and made some basic connections but i almost never use it.
    About the degree, do you mean like getting a degree in 3d art? I have read a load of times that it actually doesnt matter much as long as you can push up some good art.
    Thanks again :)