Home Technical Talk

A texture software of your dreams?

gnoop
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
gnoop polycounter
I have been doing a lot of textures during last 17 years and studied pretty much everything what had been appearing on the market. There is still nothing I would consider convenient.

Through the time a weird things had been born , A thing that multiplies all Photoshop disadvantages on super high level making even bigger mess .

Perhaps it's just my workflow. I always tried to “paint” as less as possible. More bake, render and compose from pre-existed materials. Working with photo references I tried to do very few touches to what Mother Nature did.

So I decided to share a few of my dreams here

1. A kind of “smart” objects/layers having live connections indicated as color tags / blinking together or something based on nature of connection. A best of two worlds : layers and nodes. A kind of nodes that would behave like layers , would be easily crop /copy and gizmo transformed with a single blink of eye without annoying restrictions and huge node network mess.

2. Layers that would have depth and roughness info that would interact to each other automatically. So any two bumps not only intersecting to each other accordingly with its depth in consideration but would produce cavity halos automatically. And a few other routine eliminating scenarios. Without a necessity to switch channels/layers/ blending modes back and force all the time

3. Mask necessity eliminating. Just brushes that would paint on flat surface and not in cracks or dents , not only curvature (normal map channel embossing) based but actual shape/ flatness of a surface. Sure some advanced bake tech could be developed for that, not a gazillion manual mask tweaking

4. named tags for everything , not just colored layer labels , kind of inheriting keywords and sub-keywords for any object with a convenient offline library panel

5, Advanced 3d paint effects , like those in Maya. Ability to paint hairs right in a texture to be then partly baked back. Advanced natural cracks and other phenomena with ability to adjust and reconstruct.

5. And most important probably is an interface organization when you no more puzzle youself when you see nothing expected because in some pane on opposite side in some drop down menu you forgot to set a checkbox . I have a huge Evernote base for such things with all those checkbox memos .

Replies