Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ye olde rifle

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys, I started making this rifle recently. The reference is a rifle we have on the wall in our house and I don't know its history. Let me know what you think!

6mXvYSO.png

yxC3GIz.jpg

Replies

• Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    It looks like it could be some kind of middle eastern or Indian kind of rifle. Maybe start with looking up Jezail or kabyle muskets if you want a jumping off point for potentially finding out more about it.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 wrote: »
    It looks like it could be some kind of middle eastern or Indian kind of rifle. Maybe start with looking up Jezail or kabyle muskets if you want a jumping off point for potentially finding out more about it.

I see, I might recall something about it being African, but I'm not sure at all. Though we do have a kabyle right above it so it is actually really small which might not come across on the first picture.:P

QGKaoIP.jpg
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, quick update. I'm getting closer to finalizing the zbrush stage, I'll sepnd some more time on the wood but I think I'll be better off adding more details in photoshop and programs like that from now on. Let me know what you think. (The studs are just placeholders right now)

N7vjWWU.png

DSDO6Tj.png

7F63m7d.png
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    3000 tris ? Why ? Do you have strict mobile limitations ? Did you do it on a 1024 sheet too ?

You could make this a lot nicer by spending more time on texturing and giving it a proper budget
    If you don't, then don't try making close up screenshots from it, that does not work out at all im afraid

Also try working with detail normals or add another normal on top, the zbrush info can not be enough at that highpoly resolution
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    3000 tris ? Why ? Do you have strict mobile limitations ? Did you do it on a 1024 sheet too ?

You could make this a lot nicer by spending more time on texturing and giving it a proper budget
    If you don't, then don't try making close up screenshots from it, that does not work out at all im afraid

Also try working with detail normals or add another normal on top, the zbrush info can not be enough at that highpoly resolution

Is it the studs you mean when you say I should have more polys or do you mean overall? And as far as textures go, could you be more specific on that as well or do you think all is bad?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You want your lowpoly to look indistinguishable from your highpoly, geometry wise, it looks like at least 2x what you have now is needed to make it look flawless
    Also the texture resolution is way too low and it just looks blurry
    Overlay some photo textures and add proper small scale detail / material noises in spec / gloss and detail normal maps so it dosnt look like plastic, as the zbrush normals are just large scale and dont have enough small scale info
    Your render is also not that nice, what are you using there ? Looks like pictures were made in Sketchfab. Try marmoset its the easy way
    Spend more time on textures, what you painted in zbrush is a good basis, not a final texture,
    phototextures and various scaled wear and tear , dont forget the AO map
    If you remake the lowpoly, take the opportunity to soften up the edges of the metal parts on the highpoly as they didnt bake well at all due to being too sharp

I wrote a lenghty text but the forum refreshed and ate it >.>
  • jamesman82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i could be wrong, but i think shrike's comment about the tri count is for the entire gun. most of the time (unless it's just a decorative level art asset) guns are front-and-center, first person pieces. a lot of game dev teams treat them as 'character' assets because of the level of detail. a lot of the edges that right now are reading as very crisp and paper-looking could have supporting bevels, some of your curves could be smoothed out so they don't read as so faceted, etc.

as far as the texturing, there's almost no material separation; the wood portions look and feel exactly like the metal bits, etc. are you using a PBR workflow for this? increasing your map resolution to 2k will at the very least give you more fidelity and the ability to add fine details like scratches, smudges, etc.

lastly, i would say your sculpt needs a little bit more work. i think the wood stock is pretty solid, but the gaps in between the wood could be defined better. the wood grain runs across these gaps, so they read more like a dent than anything. the studs would leave behind some mark or impression from being attached (impact or chiseling of some kind); right now they just look inserted in. my biggest criticism would be the metal portions. you start to get the right amount of edge wear on the hammer, but the plates on either side of the gun have very sharp, pristine edges. even if the reference seems to indicate a sharper edge, that sort of thing typically doesn't read too well when translated to 3d. start with a larger bevel (like the one you have on the barrel of the gun), then beat that thing up in your sculpt. your reference looks like it was used- a lot- and left out to weather. this gun across it's history hasn't been lovingly cared for, it's been abused. give it some character!

keep going man. it's great to see an interesting gun being made. i've seen a few too many mp5's on this forum.

i can't wait to see more progress on this!
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I will try to fix these things to the best of my ability! I have started working on it all ready and even with this little time I think it has been improved based on your direction. I really don't know what went wrong, when I uploaded it I were really happy with it but the changes that I have done by now really shows how much it can be improved. Though it's hard to hear I am really grateful for you honesty.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! Here is some progress, do you think I'm headed in the right direction?

BhgAUw1.jpg

AaFBKCV.jpg

7svr5iM.jpg
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    You need a lot more contrast and color variation in the albedo of the materials imo. At the moment the surface wood looks like chocolate and the metal maybe needs less noise.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I'm working on the metal right now, by surface wood, do you mean the painted part or the chipped? I suppose you are speaking of the painted part and I'll try to adjust it! :)
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this more what you are thinking?

1Oc3b7d.jpg

nM9C3Wl.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    its better but try finding some reference for the materials instead of trying something at random based on a blurry low res picture. Look up wood that is painted like that and metal - didnt you say this is a gun you have at home ? Then just take it and look how the materials are and their roughness , reflection and details etc
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    its better but try finding some reference for the materials instead of trying something at random based on a blurry low res picture. Look up wood that is painted like that and metal - didnt you say this is a gun you have at home ? Then just take it and look how the materials are and their roughness , reflection and details etc

Well, that's what I'm doing, I put up the picture so that you guys can see what I'm looking at. Truth be told I can't really see much of a difference in the color/spec/gloss from the real thing. It might be that you guys have gotten the impression that the color is really rough but its more like it has been found, painted then moved about to chip the paint, but apart from the chipped parts the paint is still fairly glossy and the color of the paint is more or less evenly (very)dark brown.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here is where I'm at now, any thoughts?

ak8d36g.jpg

6ouH4cc.jpg

W2cArNt.jpg

iiqaKme.jpg