Home General Discussion

Has anyone tried Code Combat or other "game-ified" tools

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
I've heard about Code Combat a while ago and was wanting to experiment more with Blue Prints in Unreal Engine 4, so I figured learning some game logic and basic programing/scripting would probably be a good idea. Has anyone completed it? Did it help or should I try other tools/methods?

https://codecombat.com/

After trying it for a while, it's a bit too kiddie, mobile-game-ish, and slow, so I'd appreciate any other options or suggestions.

Replies

• .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    I'd just watch the Unity tutorials. The methods shown aren't universal, but the techniques should be applicable across engines, and strengthen your understanding of game logic.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    If you've spent just a few hours using UE4 blueprints, then you probably already know enough about programming logic to start building some applications. Try picking up a language and just start writing some code since that is probably one of the best ways to learn how to program.

Creating any type of game is always a difficult task so if you are an absolute beginner, you might be better off trying to create some simple applications that are not game-related first before attempting to create a full game. If you want to stay game-oriented, then Unity is definitely a great starting point. The thing to keep in mind is that programming concepts are pretty universal for the most part. Syntax changes between languages but the thought process you need to go through in order to build something stays the same, so you will get better as long as you build anything.

I believe a lot of the Unity tutorials are set up so that all the code needed is just handed to you, so if you do watch them, then make sure to pause the videos and take a look at the scripts they give you and try to figure out what each line of code does. After going through a single tutorial series, it is always a good idea to then attempt to create a similar project by yourself.

UE4 is a lot less beginner friendly once you dive into writing code because C++ in general is less beginner friendly than C#. It is assumed that a person should already have some level of programming knowledge to get work done within UE4 which is seen from the fact that there is like 1 programming tutorial that is also outdated. That doesn't mean you can't start learning how to program by working with UE4, but once you understand the basic concepts it is a relatively straightforward concept to move from one engine to another.