Home Technical Talk

Spiral HELP!! - 3DS MAX

Hey guys,

I'm currently having major issues modelling this spiral bit on the cylinder. (This is a concept by Mikhail Rakhmatullin)
VverZDC.jpg
FYyvWg7.jpg

I'm a maya user and I have to transition to max. Please do note that I'm an absolute noob at this ): and even as a maya user I still fail lol. But anyway. I haven't tried this in Maya but when I try to think of how to go about making it, I can't think of a better and more efficient way to model it.

So in Max, what I did was (well still doing - but I figured, surely there's a faster and more efficient way of modelling this!), I made a cylinder and I made a helix, I then did a subtraction boolean which resulted a rounded inside. But the concept shows a square inward extrude.

After attempting to find a few solutions to this, I just decided to do the following.

1) I did the subtraction boolean like mentioned above and it resulted this:
og77ztW.png

2) I then deleted the rest of the faces but left the flat outer polys as shown:
gbYkHXU.png

The reason why I didn't just use a helix is cos the helix looks like this:
YavnZgl.png

Even when I played with the angles, they just won't line up with the cylinder. Unless I'm doing something stupid.

3) I thought it will be perfect as I will use this as another object to do a subtraction boolean, but it turns out I had to clean it up! As it was a bit messy and when I extrude, the faces where going berserk! (it had small extra faces here and there). Surely there's a better way to model this without spending time cleaning up the all the verts + tiny ass faces. I can't just hit delete on them either as the whole face gets deleted. ;/
DPlLJEt.png

Any help will be greatly appreciated ):

Replies