Home Technical Talk

Character clothing practices & Character LOD ?

bpears
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
bpears polycounter lvl 4
So, I am searching for some threads about character clothing, such as modeling. I'd like to have several outfits and things for players to put on their character. I know that the textures can be swapped on the clothing models, but I'm talking about entirely different clothing that would need different shapes, and it's too high poly to just cheaply paint whatever outfit on the character.

Some things I'm wondering about.

I assume they are made as separate models from the actual character, but how does that influence Z-bias, why wouldn't it fight with the character mesh since they are so close?

How would you do LOD for multiplayers who are farther away but have customized their look? Since there are so many varieties, you cannot just bake tons and tons of combined character and clothing meshes. Well, I guess you could, but that doesn't seem like a good idea.

How does GTA pull it off? They achieve tons of base characters with different clothing with LOD I think. And also have (I assume) LOD for custom characters in multiplayer.

Destiny/COD? They have custom looks with LOD.

Replies