Home Technical Talk

Model Parameters

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
curator785 polycounter lvl 3
Hello,

We are working on a project for our hobbyist group and would like some feed back on a question we are not sure about. We are trying to create the standards for all of our 3d modeler to make things easier in the future. We already have a naming convention in place. So are question at this time is.

1. What size can a model be I know we can scale in blender, and we can scale in the game engine itself. But should not the model be created in a standard form like all character are XYZ size?
  2. Also if I remember right sizing can have effects on animation too right?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on the game engine. Which one are you using? Often an engine will have an example character model, which you can use to figure out the best initial scale.

Scaling is often done in the game engine, and is usually fine. You just scale the root node, or specify a scale to use when importing.

However scaling in your 3d animation tool is sometimes bad, because the animation may be offset from the original bind pose, so if you need to make changes to the original model this can cause trouble.

An experienced rigger can avoid these problems. But this is something you as a hobbyist team will probably need to learn on your own, through trial and error. It's how all riggers started out, so don't feel ashamed. It's actually one of the best ways to learn, because you find out why!
  • curator785
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric,

We are using the Paradox Game Engine to replace Sunburn Game Engine because of the direction of XNA etc.

Thank you for this information they do provide a default model so we will review it and start from their.

P.S. I did not get a notice saying someone responded to this thread. I am new to the site so maybe you have to turn that on? I figure it would be automatic...

Thanks,
    James Fleming
    http://www.thoucurator.com
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what the default is, but to change it:
    Go to User CP.
    Go to Edit Options.
    Go to Default Thread Subscription Mode.
    Set it to whichever you prefer. Mine is set to Instant Email Notification.
  • curator785
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok awesome yeah it must default to non-subscribe that is odd IMO but thanks :)