Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help with spaceship

So, I've been trying to make top down spaceships for a game project, but I just can't make them look good. I tried using a kind of flat shaded look but it just looks like crap. How can I make this ship look better? Altering colors? Using gradients? Maybe it's just the shape? I don't know.
razor.png?w=478&h=324

Replies

• MythicalPixels
    Try coming up with a variety of different silhouettes for the space ship. I would try a combination of curved and linear forms to help give variety and rhythm to your designs. Posting those would help give us more talking points about design direction. Thanks for posting :).
  • DanglinBob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems to me the wings look decent but the fuselage needs to look more... well like the wings. Also when you user colors - try making them pop more. Brighter, near neon I'd say. Give it that Tron look so it will really draw your eye to the important bits.
  • lamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamb polycounter lvl 7
    Try drawing the ship in 2 point perspective (or anything more exciting), just check if it looks cool. It is much easier to pinpoint things that don't work.

Couldn't help but notice that the cockpit and the engine share the same space? Do some research on real aircraft and go from there.

If you look at this picture:
    f117kit2.jpg
    we can immediately recognize the shapes it is made of and how they interact. The tail seems definitely to come out higher than the rest of the fusselage. The middle section looks bulkier than the wings.

Even if it is a top view, you ought to follow lighting to make the design really pop. The coloring on your design doesn't convey that information.