Home General Discussion

Trans-Pacific Partnership

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
Remember how bad Sopa was? This is much worse. With the Trans-Pacific Partnership you can be sent to jail and fined for minor copyright infringements if this passes. You will be monitored, can get kicked off the internet, and your computer can be siezed if found to be connected to infringing activity - even if you are connected or not. Spread awareness by sharing this information.
They are doing this in secrecy and are trying to harshen penalties for whistle-blowers. This needs to not pass.

http://imgur.com/a/KuERk#wIaF3c1

wha1Jxl.png
wIaF3c1.png
028Gc9K.jpg
GSUhMgN.png

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    in secrecy and are trying to harshen penalties for whistle-blowers
    If this is true and many people dislike "cyber bullying", doesn't this kind of fall into that as a whole? Except it's the gov and for whatever reason we let them do whatever they want? why is that again?

Cause we use their money? well stop using it then.. simple? y/n this will wake them up wouldn't it? I don't know just thinking here..

Since I would like more people to wake up here:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RmBjLN58rU[/ame]

^some information to help i guess, if you care about your families and such that is.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    A lot of that seems like it could be fear mongering based on assumptions and (possibly) misinformation, though.

Can someone back up that the TPP is as evil as these would make it seem?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    No one can really back anything up because the text of the agreement isn't available to the public. I have a bad feeling about the TPP though. It smells like it doesn't use MikkTSpace.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Goddamn TppTSpace.

DavidCruz wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RmBjLN58rU
    ^some information to help i guess, if you care about your families and such that is.

He's like the most condescending person, and he doesn't even say anything thoughtful in the video; much less something that teaches me anything. Just gives his opinions on "fiat currency" for half the time, and just kind of talks for the next half about nothing in particular. He also seems to be way too obsessed with the idea that money is a real thing, as opposed to something humans just invented.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    SO basically this is the mpaa or whoever getting access to all the pirates in the third world? Also japan going after all the anime pirates?

Who the hell is gonna enforce any of this? DO they think any of these third world nations have the patience to will to spend cash on someone who downloaded a copy of game of thrones?

Who is gonna enforce any of this??? I mean it works SOOOO well in the us right??
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    DavidCruz wrote: »
    If this is true and many people dislike "cyber bullying", doesn't this kind of fall into that as a whole? Except it's the gov and for whatever reason we let them do whatever they want? why is that again?

Cause we use their money? well stop using it then.. simple? y/n this will wake them up wouldn't it? I don't know just thinking here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RmBjLN58rU

What 'information' was I supposed to glean from this exactly?

Because I feel like I just wasted 17 minutes watching aimless rambling
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    The OP infographic seems to focus on just the copyright side of it...which seems like a small part of the treaty. This comic goes into a bit more detail about what's known/notknown and trade treaties in general:

http://economixcomix.com/home/tpp/
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Political stuff like this shouldn't be on polycount.

Also please don't make your opinion based on some jpegs.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Mstankow wrote: »
    Political stuff like this shouldn't be on polycount.

Also please don't make your opinion based on some jpegs.
    Yes let's make our informed decisions based on what the politicians are telling us!

oh...

wait...
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    I may have come off as rambling, but it's just something I want to let others know about because it is important.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    While the TPP is being worked on behind closed doors (although kinda poorly as info has leaked out and not just from WikiLeaks), I wasn't aware of any IP type of negotiations being done. Also, part of what makes me question the validity of this info-graphic is that if the idea is to raise healthcare costs...that...goes against everything that the Affordable Care Act did.

But I am interested in seeing if there is any credible information about these IP negotiations so I'll be looking into that.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Needles wrote: »
    SO basically this is the mpaa or whoever getting access to all the pirates in the third world? Also japan going after all the anime pirates?

Who the hell is gonna enforce any of this? DO they think any of these third world nations have the patience to will to spend cash on someone who downloaded a copy of game of thrones?

Who is gonna enforce any of this??? I mean it works SOOOO well in the us right??

No one thinks they can stop random individuals from pirating TV shows. Its corporations using dozens of copies of pirated software they're trying to crack down on.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    What a thread Yourname942, very informative, im going to spend sometime and review everything in this. Clearly i had no idea of the implication behind this agreement. I previously thought that it only affected big companies and some obscure country to country exchange.

Thanks a million for this.