Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Problems with color and values

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
seework polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys, I'm a bit stuck with this, any feedback is welcome!
JDDjnfh.jpg

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Color and values look pretty on point to me here. Now maybe you are not satisfied with this piece for other reasons (accuracy, design, composition) but these are different topics.
  • seework
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah Pior, I think you are right perhaps I'm stuck about de whole design, I'm going to repeat this one with other composition and trying to improve the character design, thanks!
  • levigilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all I really like the idea for this piece and it is looking really awesome already.

I think there might be a problem with the character and the eel monster fighting for visual attention. I keep jumping back and forth between the two and am not sure what I should look at.

I'm guessing the focus of this piece is the character. So I'd suggest tightening up the rendering and adding a little more detail to him to draw your attention. Then with the eel I would lower the contrast by darkening the highlights and lightening the dark areas in the face.
  • DanglinBob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Levi, bring the serpent more into the background and the character more the center of the focus.
  • seework
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks levi and Danglin, I will try to focus at the character at give more detail to him and blend the eel with the background too
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    In terms of values, i would recommend not over exposing your lighting while doing the actual painting.

You can do it in post, and you will get a far more accurate over exposure than you would from just painting it straight.
  • seework
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with you, Muzz, I'll try to do it in post, thanks.
  • seework
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip, applying some of the feedback

1miM75n.jpg
  • levigilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! I'd suggest keeping the scale/size of the character the same as in your previous piece. Add back in the particles and the lighting effects and I think you'll have a really solid painting.
  • Il_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Il_
    Now it looks really great - much better than first version (guess, thats also because you've spent a little more time on it). It's a shame (just a bit) you've lost those cool water surface highlights, but it's still obvious it's underwater, so that's all right.

I like the new composition much more (and that blur looks great). Maybe it's worth cropping some empty space some more.

Also I'd suggest you to try making bottom of your painting darker - even more gradient from light top to dark bottom. But that's really not that important.

Two things, that bother me a little are water surface at the top of the picture (give it more space and try drawing it better from some reference, or crop it) and hands of a character. They look weak comparing to really great job you've made on other parts.

(sorry for my english)
  • seework
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ll_, about the water surface highlights its because I was render the character before apply those reflections, this is how the picture looks now:

20rFMDa.jpg

about the fingers yes I need to work on it and use some references, and the water surface now its better but ye, it doesnt look real :/.

Thanks for the feedback, and no problem about the english, mine is not very good either.
  • Il_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Il_
    I guess nobody replies, because they have nothing to say. At least that's the case for me. As for me - the image looks really (really!) great now, water surface is ok and the only thing that is not that good is his hands. But you know all of it without me.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Its really contrasty, your dark's are very black and your lights very white. you should really clamp your values some, and try to get some color and detail into those shadows. same with the highlights, darken them and ad some color and detail there.

also the hands look a bit undefined, im not sure which fingers comes from wish hand, or if they are some sort of tentacles. also, he is underwater so maybe have some of the torn cloth "tendrils" or whatever you call em float around more to really show of the difference in gravity underwater.

and my final crit is the water surface, it does look a tad like a copy-pasted photo.

other then that its looking really sweet, you've come a long way since that first version!