polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Vasburg polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone,
I just recently updated my portfolio and would like to skip this moment of
euphoria by asking you guys and girls for critique. Below you will find some
of, what I believe to be, my coolest pieces and I would be very happy to find
some ways on how to improve them further. If you want to ramble about the
portfolio itself, you can also find it here.

Thanks for stopping by!

ship_illustration_vasburg.jpg

kaineng2_vasburg.jpg

vasburg_character_sketches.jpg

ruins_by_vasburg.png

floating_cubes_by_vasburg.jpg

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi Erich,

The first thing that comes to mind is that you might want to focus on accuracy in at least half of your pieces (lineart and/or tight rendering) in order to show that you are fully production-ready. More on that here :

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146676

Now of course there is always the argument that "things can be figured out in 3D", "refined" with paintovers later or even improvised straight in Zbrush by the concept artist him/herself, but these arguments tend to fall appart quickly in the face of the realities of art production. It's the paradox of 3d art : on one hand "jamming" from a loose design can be a lot of fun ... but on the other hand, when different people read different things from an impressionic sketch or collage, all bets are off and things can get off-schedule very fast.

In short : you want to show your future potential AD that you can shoulder a design task from start to finish, as it will give you an obvious edge over the competition.

Good luck !
  • Vasburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vasburg polycounter lvl 3
    pior wrote: »
    Hi Erich,

The first thing that comes to mind is that you might want to focus on accuracy in at least half of your pieces (lineart and/or tight rendering) in order to show that you are fully production-ready. More on that here :

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146676

Now of course there is always the argument that "things can be figured out in 3D", "refined" with paintovers later or even improvised straight in Zbrush by the concept artist him/herself, but these arguments tend to fall appart quickly in the face of the realities of art production. It's the paradox of 3d art : on one hand "jamming" from a loose design can be a lot of fun ... but on the other hand, when different people read different things from an impressionic sketch or collage, all bets are off and things can get off-schedule very fast.

In short : you want to show your future potential AD that you can shoulder a design task from start to finish, as it will give you an obvious edge over the competition.

Good luck !

Hey pior,
    I think this is a really great piece of advice. I've been playing with the thought of doing a character sketch with these attributes for a while and your echo and link pretty much resonated that.

Thanks a lot!