Home Technical Talk

How to go about making huge rock cliffs?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tynew polycounter lvl 9
Hello,

I'm am trying to make tropical rocks similar to the ones seen in Thailand. I've never handled something as large as this before, I've looked through a lot of polycount threads and the wiki on this subject. The reason I am also struggling is because of the particular surface type. It's very planar/smooth across shape wise not texture AND it is very, very tall. Wouldn't it be plainly obvious seeing the intersecting stacked geo?

I was thinking of using the plane method from here, but that got me thinking it would be very easy to see it being tileable. I'd also have to make some weird angles to try and make it converge to the top point.

The second method I thought about was using modular rocks and clumping it together to make the overall shape. I tried this method with one test rock but that middle rock which I mashed together is VERY small in comparison to the IRL cliffs. This seems problematic because for something so large I'd have to use a lot of them and that seems high for tri counts.

An additional problem is whether or not I should bake a normal map for either of these and will they even be worth it considering the size. If a player is getting up close to a lot of them it may be problematic even with detail maps?

I'd appreciate the advice :)
Thanks.

DSCN2643.JPG

Replies