Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Improvement and Advice thread

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys I have been on polycount for the past few years since I have joined I have improved a lot since joining. And for the past few years I have been trying to get a job in the industry with not a lot of luck but a few art test. So this is not a one of those I’m not motivated threads quite the opposite but a thread of I want to push my quality to meet today’s standards. I don’t think my work is terrible, I just doesn’t get that wow factor a lot of companies are looking for or it doesn’t meet what they are looking for. So I wanted to start a thread where I post some work that I have worked on and stuff that I am working on and you guys tell me what you think, and how I can improve it and I would love to improve myself in all areas Modeling, Texturing, baking and so on and so forth.

To start off this is from last months noob challenge when there was two challenges.
v0h4JdU.jpg
cQdMDB7.jpg
S2Uor5T.jpg
qqUsDIr.jpg

Replies

• Doublehelix35
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good to me :) Maybe more beveling?
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    IMO I think the metals are too perfectly shiny, they look too perfect.

Maybe make them a bit rougher and add in some variation to the material
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    HI Robert!
    I think your work is not really working because your 3d model and texture work is not blod enough. By Bold I mean that the felling you give here is not a cartoon handpaint stuff or a realistic one but an in between which is weird. Tell us what you try to achieve and we will be able to give you specific feedbacks.

For exemple realistic or not your pile of coin need more love to give a feeling of a pile of something. The silhouette is going against your pattern. You can create a 3d first draft like that but after you have to add a lot of lonely coins to break your silhouette and give the feeling you want to achieve.

Keep on the good work.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for your feedback! Doublehelix: thanks! I will look in to that. Doxturtle: Hey I will work on the metals some more! Vincent_DEROZIER : Hey I was trying to do something similar to what this guy did with his stylized pbr texture http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135431&page=2.
    And I will work on the coins some more, and work on making it feel more natural.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    I think it lacks material definition. The metal looks more like glossy plastic, the skull sculpt is too blobby, the bones are glossy plastic, instead of boney, like the concept. The skulls lack expression in their eyes. The wood sculpt is not so well and defined. Your edges are not catching any highlights.

The damaging looks too sloppy compared to the concept's stylized slashes and such. Overall, it doesn't look like you put enough love into the modeling, texturing and lighting, that's why its not loving you back.

For the coins, maybe use 3ds Max MassFX to fill an invisible container with nicely sculpted coins, then remove the container and bake the coins. Right now they look like a pile of golden turd.

You're going to have to redo the whole concept from scratch if you want to get better. Try to get a solid basemesh in your modeling application before trying to sculpt anything.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow a lot to take in. But alright I can do that here is my base mesh, and I have worked on the skull mesh here, and I can work on redoing the slashes and everything once you guys tell me what you think of base.
    RbWnevT.jpg
    DxSn5TX.jpg
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good, remember not to make your edge loops too tight or your edges won't catch highlights and read well.
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's fine for a base mesh.

I' m just not sure about the balance of the main shapes, but it's coming for the design you chose, maybe you can reduce the skulls the sides to accentuate the impressive feeling of the main front skull. You can also add rings on the sides skull to bring back the idea that finally it's a safe-box and can be handle by the sides. If you move the sides skull on the bottom part of the safe-box tat can help to break a little bit your shapes as well.

It's not as sexy as the Disney concept but here is what I'm talking about :

Safe.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow Vincent_DEROZIER! Yeah I like that idea, I will get to work on it!
    Anyways, I have started working on the damage on the top metal of the chest and would like to think what you guys think!JxFJCAE.jpgjZQZrE4.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vincent_DEROZIER, is this the kinda of idea that you were thinking of ? And thank you again!
    zPsdMCK.jpg
    BXF3SjD.jpg
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    maybe tilt the sides of the cover a bit more outward and then give the skulls some more love and its gonna be rly awesome!
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm happy if that help you !
    I think you can enlarge the thickness of the ring handles to fit with with the other pattern size.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Try to make sure your basemesh has quads that are evenly distributed (square) in order to get good sculpting details, your damage still looks strange and sloppy.
  • markjonsonus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love to see the creation of box with gold and that skeleton face looks like pirates sign of victory. Good job done.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrgesy it is all in quads, Can you me some details about what is strange about it? And what is sloppy? Are the cuts not sharp enough? Cut not make sense ?
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence polycounter lvl 9
    The cuts look like they are too deep and go straight in rather than having a V shape, which will be easier to work with and look more natural. Also the cut that runs parallel with the metal trim looks odd, I feel it should be more of a light scratch and not so dug in since it isn't on an edge where more intense damage tends to happen.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I tried a different set a brushes on the top metal piece. I tried the AJ brushes this time instead of using ORB cracks brush.
    IFBAT0F.jpg
    Wt35FbB.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I started to work on the sculpt some more, I would love to hear what you guys think!
    8rHP5Ci.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I was not to happy with my wood, after looking at it for. So I decided to redo it again, and I would love to hear what you guys think!
    UYrQRM7.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I finished the top piece of the treasure chest. I would to love to hear what you guys think and make sure I am on the right path with this.
    r62pVoW.jpg
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking good. I would add some indents into the metal as well. Other than that keep going can´t wait to see this finished.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks! I worked on the bottom piece, I will be starting on the bones next. As always I would love to hear what you guys think!
    Mbz45CY.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I worked on the skulls and the bones and I am getting ready now to work on the low poly. Is there anything that you guys think I should work on or change before I get to baking?
    2232kH0.jpg
    c5kbCCr.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I know it has been awhile since I have made a post, but I have finally have all the files decimated and I have imported it into marmoset to show the pieces all together, and I am fixing to start the low poly, Please let me know what you guys think !
    QAXIpo5.jpg
    Pi3Inqj.jpg
    QjkUWWG.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys another update on the chest, I finished the low poly and the bake and fixing to start texturing, I would love to hear what you guys think!
    XRIe5To.jpg
    05YmQcC.jpg
    niS1oNv.jpg
    yVhmPhY.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I thought I would also post my uvs for the model, looking for any feed back that I can get before I start texturing, anything would be a great help! Thanks guys!
    prlSM5v.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have blocked out the colors and I am going to start texturing now!
    DMLQkYK.jpg
    IE6dfQd.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I started working on the textures on the chest and would love to hear what you guys think so far I really would like to make this a portfolio piece and would like to push it as far as I can, thanks guys!
    Ep52jOo.jpg
    TY5lv6a.jpg
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's all too clean and neither material is reading very well, they both look almost like they are wet. I would beat everything up a bit, bump the roughness up, and add some more roughness variation over all. Also maybe think about making the metal a bit more rusty. 10098888-Antique-wooden-trunk-on-a-table-Stock-Photo-box-chest-antique.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Noosence, Thank you so much for your comment. I have worked on putting more roughness and work into the texture, and I have worked on making sure it doe not look wet. These comments where super helpful and I am still learning the PBR texturing style so every little bit of help, helps me improve my work. Anyway guys here is my update of my texture, so please let me know what you guys think!
    0MlQH19.jpg
    fJXUXHh.jpg
    bkM0FtP.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I worked on the chest texture some more, and I am going back to rework the coins some more to make sure they look better, but here is an update on the chest, so please let me know what you guys think!
    Wq6J8CZ.jpg
    xy94Dsn.jpg
  • Dripz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dripz vertex
    Just looked at the post from start to finish, Great improvements. Seems to be alot of stressed wood, Why not peel up a couple pieces make it look splintered! just my opinion strong work.