Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My progress with SpeedTree over the summer

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
So i have been wanting to learn how to use SpeedTree for a while now so I got myself the UE4 version and im going to learn over the summer how to create some great looking trees using it. I can make trees in normal software packages but i think SpeedTree trees look great so I want to learn how to use it.

any tips on how to use the software will be greatly appreciated as well as C&Cs
:)

Here is what i have done so far
a Maple Tree
treetest.jpg

Some Grass
grasstest.png

Replies

• Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I worked on the maple tree because it didnt look like a maple tree haha
    here is what i have now, maybe too many planes in the canopy area, any comments?
    the render is from speedtree going to put it into unreal tomorrow and see what it looks like with subsurface and stuff on
    maple-tree.png
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    I may be wrong but in my opinion you'd learn a lot more from making these from scratch yourself.
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey
    I'm already pretty knowledgable about making trees using 3ds max not super knowledgable but up there where I would like to learn the speed tree software to make my pipeline for foliage faster

So far I've found that the Map maker ability is great and so much faster than making branch planes from scratch. You would have a little bit more control in 3ds max but you can get good results with speedtree
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    I think you would benefit from looking more closely at reference, especially for the maple tree. It looks less like something made in speed tree and something made really quickly and cheaply with maya paint effects.

wow-maybe-2.jpg

If you look at the way Maples grow, they are slightly more gnarled and the bifurication angles they have can be quite extreme. It might help you to aim for higher quality main branches with more divisions to allow for more gnarl, while making better branch planes by creating high-res branches and baking them down to planes.

The grass has too uniform of a colour and gradient, on a field it would look extremely flat. Try breaking up the colour and gradient ramp to give it variation. Also consider adding varying levels of decay on the grass to make it feel more reaslistic.
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that. I didn't even think to look at a reference without leaves I was using ones fully grown haha

I see what you mean. The branches were created using the map maker in speed tree but I will try doing it in max then baking it.

I agree with everything with the grass it was done pretty quickly using only one section of a grass baked plane so I will go back to the grass once I get the maple down.

It's a field maple im going for btw if that makes a difference. The leaves are more rounded at the points.

Cheers for the feedback
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought i posted this earlier must have not went through for some reason.

I deleted the branch and leaves and worked on the underlying structure like was said and i added more bifurication, jinking and deformation thinking it looks a bit better.

maple-tree-2.png
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the maple tree now as well as some new grass and flowers, i think it all looks a lot better, I might move onto another tree now not sure, what do yous think?
    I was thinking about putting all the stuff I make up on the unreal marketplace for like 20 dollars or something like that, keep it cheap. the environment packs up there are like 80 dollars, ill call it the budget environment pack haha, not sure though if its still that good enough

highresscreenshot00003.png
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    i would reduce the amount of leaves a bit... somehow it looks too dense

scene looks supper nice :D
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone wrote: »
    i would reduce the amount of leaves a bit... somehow it looks too dense

scene looks supper nice :D

awesome ill try that, im also going to try and make the shape a bit more box shaped from references ive gathered.

thanks a lot :)
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some pruning... ;) and came up with this, the one on the right is one with a bit of a wider shape.
    Which one looks best or do both?

highresscreenshot000031.png

and from behind to see the subsurface

highresscreenshot00004.png
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    i like the left better :)
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome ill work with that one more :) planning on making 3 variations per asset
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i moved on to try a Japanese Maple Tree, tried to make one a while back and it didnt come out that good, I think this is looking not too bad, What do yous think?
    is the canopy too sparse this time?

WARNING
    High Res images

1.png
    2.png
    3.png
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone got anything? I posted this last night so just bumping it so everyone sees it

I think there is something wrong but cant quite put my finger on it
  • Earthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthyn polycounter lvl 2
    The Japenese Maple tree seems quite unique in its structure almost alien in the way its branches bend?

I would look at some references, look at how the leaves all seem to stay above a set height, notice how the branches twist and turn to create its unique silhouette!

Hope this helps

Maier.04.jpg
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is actually one of my references i used haha

Its really hard to get that kind of structure while keeping the poly count down though thats the only thing :/

Ill take another look and see what I can doo
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my underlying structure looks like this now

any good?

japmaple.jpg
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    extended some ogf the branches as i noticed they were a bit too short
    japmaple1.jpg
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more work on the Japanese Maple :)

highresscreenshot00002.png
    highresscreenshot000032.png
    highresscreenshot00000.png
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on an American Elm Tree this is what I have so far
    what do yous think?

highresscreenshot00005.png
    highresscreenshot00006.png
    highresscreenshot00007.png
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havnt posted in a bit so here is a birch tree that i made up, pretty happy with it but will keep working on it.

highresscreenshot00000.png
    highresscreenshot00001.png