Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

portfolio review

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
https://www.artstation.com/artist/rjbonner

I've enjoyed the journey over the years developing along side many talented artists on polycount, taking in feed back sharing and networking and I believe I now have a large enough body of work to get some portfolio feedback.

I don't think I'm ready yet but just for vulnerabilitys sake what does the polycount community think of my portfolio so far? I'm going for a hard surface/ enviroment art focused job.

Where do I need to focus more on? What sucks and needs to be removed? What do I need to have more of? Thank you and any feedback is appreciated!

Replies

• imthedan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd add that you're going for surface/environmental art under your name, or somewhere on there. I feel it's important to tell the world what you want to do.

The next thing that sticks out to me is the lack of information about your models. I love to see maps, tri count, wireframes, ect... I think that's important to show off.

Not completely necessary, but I'd look into a .com -- It's not a make or break, but it does look more professional, especially now that you can get them for a few bucks.

Nice job overall, though. I like your designs!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    No need to drop these requests into each polycount section, you could have asked a mod to move your post.

As for the review, I would remove the sketches you have and the non PBR lion model (Also I think you have a spelling mistake on the PBR version).

The Darksiders inspired environment looks unfinished, and because almost all of it is grey. As an environment artist you should also create and make use of tileable textures, but both your environments are pretty much all baked down sculpts.

As imthedan noted you have no technical shots, ie: texture flats, wireframes, high poly etc... An artist looking at your portfolio needs to see some of these to determine if you know what you're doing.

Also more angles for the light tank and maybe re-visit the texturing on it, and give it some more believable wear.
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Did you intentionally misspell Lion to Loin? Just a small.. grip.

Loin revisited

Also, why only one or very few shots? Give the viewer different angles of each piece. Show off the model, I really want to see more of the Gate piece.
  • CrackRockSteady
    I replied to the thread you made in GD and just saw this so I'll copy what I posted there. Some of what I said echoes what others here have already said but that's ok ;)

If your goal is to find a job as hard surface/environment artist, straight up - focus on that. Show me more assets and environments at the quality of your first image.

The first thing I see when I visit the site is a full-page, fucking sexy render of some sort of sci-fi fighter. I'm impressed, and I want to see more. However, to be frank, everything after that is a bit of a letdown. I don't mean any offense, as none of your work is actually bad, it's just that your splash page piece is head and shoulders above everything else. I'd definitely show more renders at different angles, include texture pages and wireframe renders. It looks great, show it off.

The environment pieces aren't bad, and I like the approach of doing smaller, focused environments, but there's nothing particularly impressive about them. I'd work on finishing some more small environment pieces and really just focus on doing one asset at a time for it and doing it really well.

Your 2d work isn't bad, but it also isn't great and it'll ultimately detract from the 3d work you'll want employers to focus on. I'd remove it for now. Once you've built up the 3d side of the portfolio you can consider spending some time to develop some 2d pieces to complement it.

Overall I'd say just keep working at it. You've clearly got skills, they just need to be developed more. I'd also make sure that, as you finish assets, include texture and model breakdowns. This will help demonstrate that you really understand the process and correct techniques for the art creation pipeline (UV layout, texture baking, mesh optimization, etc).
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    My eyeballs like your work mr. Rockley