Will be part of a larger outdoor scene. First high poly model so far:

zG8rM53jpg

C+C welcome

Replies

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Looks great. :) The subtle additions of the dents works really well.

Are you baking this down? How are you planning on separating the textures/bakes for it? Huge objects like this have always confused me, because you can't really just smack them onto a huge texture map.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    That is a very good question, and something I've been thinking about. I definitely plan to bake it down to low poly. Possibly only making 2 unique sides (right and front), and cloning them? The wheels/bogies and bottom compartments could definitely be cloned around.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some detail to the coal in zbrush. Also more dents. I think I'll move forward with low poly next. Any thoughts?

[IMG][/img]jSYBiJL.png

X2bmDgH.png
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Looks good! Made something like this for the game I'm working on. It's a killer to get those springs on the bogie represented well in the low-poly, without the polycount being insane.

Looks great so far!
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cube Republic polycounter lvl 11
    Joopson wrote: »
    Looks good! Made something like this for the game I'm working on. It's a killer to get those springs on the bogie represented well in the low-poly, without the polycount being insane.

Looks great so far!

Could you not use cylinders with alphas?
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you not use cylinders with alphas?

Do you have any examples of this?
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Looks great so far!

Would love to see what you're working on. Have you shared it on here already?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Here's an example of a cylinder with an alpha on it. Wish I'd thought of it at the time! The normals take care of the form pretty well, as long as you won't be super close to it.

ggoy289.jpg

As for the game I'm working on, we released today, actually, on Steam, and I'll be updating my portfolio with the work I did very soon, but in the meantime, and because it's relevant, here's a shot of my coal hopper from "Alone in the Dark: Illumination". I did a few states of decay for them, and this was the most un-decayed one:

fQYUXB2.jpg
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an example of a cylinder with an alpha on it. Wish I'd thought of it at the time! The normals take care of the form pretty well, as long as you won't be super close to it.

ggoy289.jpg

As for the game I'm working on, we released today, actually, on Steam, and I'll be updating my portfolio with the work I did very soon, but in the meantime, and because it's relevant, here's a shot of my coal hopper from "Alone in the Dark: Illumination". I did a few states of decay for them, and this was the most un-decayed one:

fQYUXB2.jpg

Nice, thanks for that. I still haven't messed around with alphas and UVs, so I'll have to look into that. But I'm guessing it's pretty basic stuff.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got my low-poly down to around 60k tris. Does that seem abnormally high to anyone?

a1BKZ9s.jpg?1

cHDme3a.jpg?1

No UVs yet.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Mine sat at around 53,000, so I don't think it's abnormal. There's a lot if detail, especially around the wheels. Since mine was for a real game, I had to do a few LODs, though.
  • 3dshay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any luck to see the textures?
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dshay wrote: »
    Any luck to see the textures?

On mine or Joopson's? Mine doesn't have any yet. It's been pretty slow going on my end, but I hope to start UVing today and will have some textures soon after that.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, after putting this off for a while because things got busy at the office, I finally returned to UVing and baking normals for it. And as expected, it's really damn hard to get this to fit into 1 UV layout! I ended up using 2x4096 UV sheets. That seems excessive, doesn't it? It's still tough to get the normals to look good, even with that much space. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my screenshots so far:
    0OghuUf.jpg
    hXzYA3l.jpg

I split the mesh into 2 UV sheets, 1 for the main car, and 1 for everything else. The normals used in Marmoset are 4k, but these are 2k to save screen space. See below:

6erRRSu.jpg

jhAN9fd.jpg

Again, any advice/crits are appreciated!
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Its a bit hard to tell whats going on with your normals, but it looks as though you've created a completely unique unwrap for all faces? There are a lot of objects that could be using the same uv space like the wheels and the sides of the car. Consider having some tiling trim bits, along with sepperating the coal into its own material.

It also looks like a few of your uv strips are at slight angles. You'll want to avoid this on straight objects as you'll get some anti-aliasing/mipping issues.

The modelling is great, but I think you can get much better results with a smarter unwrap. If you are worried about losing some of that unique detail, you can always vertex paint in some damage/wear in your shader.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, everything has it's own UV space. I was thinking I should tile some UVs on it, but I don't have much experience with that or vertex painting. Guess it's time I learned. Will that mess with baking lightmaps in UE4?

Also should an asset like this only use 1 UV sheet? and is 4k too high?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    The way I uv'd mine was, the sides were mirrored, and the front and back were mirrored. I only textured one of the sets of wheels. In all, I used a 4096 for the train itself, a 1024 for the bogies/wheels, and a 512 for the couplers (connectors).... But, actually, I compiled the couplers and bogies into a 2048 texture atlas with some other smaller textures as well, to be a little more efficient.

Here is how mine were laid out:

http://i.imgur.com/wwZDnYV.jpg (body of the car)
    http://i.imgur.com/EaZmUBu.jpg (Wheels, bogie, and couplers)
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Joopson, that's very helpful!

Did you mirror the duplicate pieces in the model itself or in the game engine?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    In the model itself. I'll see if I have a screenshot lying around of the low after being UVd, but before assembly.

[ edit: here it is: http://i.imgur.com/vADK2wA.jpg ]

Then once I finished all the bakes, I assembled it, merged vertices, etc.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you bake it out, then clone the elements around/mirror them so they're using the same UV spaces.
    Did you do any UVing for baking light maps? Or was it all physical lighting?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Yep, exactly. For the Lightmap UVs, I used Maya; you can duplicate the current UVs into a new UV set. Once I had the new UV set, I just used the default "Layout UVs" action, which takes your existing islands, and scales them all uniformly until they can all fit in the 0-1 space, and lays them out. Not ideal really, I don't think, but it was fast and looked good.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, yeah there's multiple UV channels in Max that you can use for lightmaps. Just not sure how to connect that in UE4, where I will be assembling this scene.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    in max just put your light map uv's on channel 2 then in unreal4, when you import the mesh make sure auto generate lightmaps is not ticked, and thats it - nice and simple

The model is also looking great!
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MephistonX Thanks!

I got all of this to fit on one 4k normal map. Will clone the elements around in Max. Might enlarge the size of the bogie bracket in the UV to give it just a little more detail. Also need to fix some smoothing on the car itself.

WRCZIKO.jpg

Et9mlEI.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on this! (finally)
    All screencaps taken in Substance Painter, which I'm using for the first time. And some elements will be cloned around once texturing is complete, to save on UV space.
    Still a WIP, so any and all crit is welcome!

kzk9GtR.jpg

tndzY77.jpg

NI5Z7Fa.jpg

uTr1IkO.jpg
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Up-res'd above screenshots since I notice the old ones looked like garbage.
  • Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice textures - that roughness map is eye catching.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated views from Toolbag 2:

0OXR8rf.jpg

I7L5552.jpg

also, the car I was using for texture reference:

4ZiZSbs.jpg
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message