Home Technical Talk

HiPoly Rendering Tutorials?

martynball
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
martynball polycounter lvl 10
Looked over Google, not many decent tutorials, or all for 3ds max. Does anyone know of a tutorial which will show me the settings used to render my models to this kind of standard?

mp5ras.jpg

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Hi. I don't want to be nitpicky, but this topic was discussed at least a few times in the tech talk here, so I can't really believe that you didn't found anything. Also, you can always simply ask the creator of the piece. Anyways, if you would like to do this in max, then I try te explain it here, any you can implement it: What you can see on the picture is that, there is a sky, or at least a panorama picture which is reflected on the object (maybe as diffuse too->image based lighting). A hdr one would be preferred. The materials doesn't look so complicated, they can reflect things, and they have a highly tiled noise bump or normal map, which is distorting the reflection. You can see at least 2 different, but actually similar materials. The only difference between them, is the glossiness. There is one light source that I can notice from the image, and its casting sharp shadows, so its not an area light. Probably its a directional light, but you can achieve similar result with a point light too. These are the most important components of this look in my opinion. You can do this with v-ray or mental ray, or something, that can handle ray traced reflections, with glossiness, and image based lighting but this last thing is not must needed, if it has a sky system.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
  • cptSwing