Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Construcion cyborg needs advice

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Mikel polycounter lvl 10
Hello there! So I've been working on this crappy concept which I plan to model eventually. As you can see my painting skills are pretty poor.
I'm not sure about the arms. At the moment I came with a rubbery muscle feel mixed with solid pieces but I feel some kind of excavator parts would go better with the purpose of the poor bastard. Perspective and proportions are fucked up I know. This is my very first concept on human shaped stuff so I would love some critiques, paintovers, advices, comments and so... Big hugs to all!!! :)
28w2hx2.jpg

Replies

• Mikel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikel polycounter lvl 10
    No one answers? :(
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Going to go out on a limb and say there has been a drastic drop in activity from all 2D/3D sites, I know i looked around.

With that said, you have language (not that it matters when speaking about art) that i can point out, crappy, poor, bastard, fucked up. (red flag words?, maybe)

Anyway,
    Looks nice afaik the only thing that stands out to me is the neck area and upper back seems bigger than the rest of his torso, but you might just need more of the concept to get better c&c.

Are you making an entire character?
    Its not bad for a 1st character drawing.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Hey man, I think you should focus on design and shape before going into rendering. especially if this is gonna be turned into 3D in the end. it dosnt really matter how pretty or ugly the concept is. make sure its simple and clear, dont get stuck on rendering.

as for design, I think you should make a whole character, and not just a torso, and his lower arm does indeed looks kind of weird. He is missing the basic shape of the under arm musculature, and I also think the arm a tad short.

design is pretty solid though, I think you need to take a closer look at the neck, the idea is cool but he wont be able to move his neck with those bars being static like that.

@ DavidCruz: winter is over, people are either working like crazy finishing for summer deadlines or on vacation.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    lotet wrote: »
    @ DavidCruz: winter is over, people are either working like crazy finishing for summer deadlines or on vacation.
    Okay was getting worried about the lack of traffic on many sites i enjoyed, good to know didn't think about this.
  • Mikel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikel polycounter lvl 10
    DavidCruz wrote: »
    Going to go out on a limb and say there has been a drastic drop in activity from all 2D/3D sites, I know i looked around.

With that said, you have language (not that it matters when speaking about art) that i can point out, crappy, poor, bastard, fucked up. (red flag words?, maybe)

Anyway,
    Looks nice afaik the only thing that stands out to me is the neck area and upper back seems bigger than the rest of his torso, but you might just need more of the concept to get better c&c.

Are you making an entire character?
    Its not bad for a 1st character drawing.

Thanks! I'll look forward to correct the neck issue. I plan to make the entire character eventually. This is a personal project so no need to go fast. For the bad talking. Believe me or not I learned english watching movies and TV shows. Swearing is almost unavoidable. Sorry about that.
  • Mikel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikel polycounter lvl 10
    lotet wrote: »
    Hey man, I think you should focus on design and shape before going into rendering. especially if this is gonna be turned into 3D in the end. it dosnt really matter how pretty or ugly the concept is. make sure its simple and clear, dont get stuck on rendering.

as for design, I think you should make a whole character, and not just a torso, and his lower arm does indeed looks kind of weird. He is missing the basic shape of the under arm musculature, and I also think the arm a tad short.

design is pretty solid though, I think you need to take a closer look at the neck, the idea is cool but he wont be able to move his neck with those bars being static like that.

Thanks buddy! Actually I started the drawing because I was bored as f*** and after a while I started to like it. The next time I'll remember that form follows function and rendering follows form. I'll think about how to redesign the neck while keeping at least a part of the solid bars (I like them a lot)