Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio site

After working in the industry for 12 years or so I figured it was time to put together a personal portfolio. Check it out here: http://www.joewilson3dart.com

This was in some sense a proof of concept, to see if I could create a portfolio that was entirely reliant on interactive 3D content, powered by Marmoset Viewer of course.

The site is still WIP, I need to find time to put some information about myself and links to some of the tutorials I've written.

Let me know what you think.

Replies

• tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    did you use wix or wordpress? I can't figure out how to add marmoset viewer to wix.

looks really good by the way.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, its a pretty basic site, hand written in HTML. Sorry, I'm not familiar with Wix so I don't have much advice.

Does Wix allow you to do HTML editing or is it a WYSIWYG editor?
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it has HTML coding but I have no clue how to upload the .mview and .html file that is created to the site. maybe I'll switch to word press. I just saw that there is a plug in. Most of wix is WYSIWYG i guess.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    dude, sick stuff. Finally able to see your models in full. :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan wrote: »
    it has HTML coding but I have no clue how to upload the .mview and .html file that is created to the site. maybe I'll switch to word press. I just saw that there is a plug in. Most of wix is WYSIWYG i guess.

Yeah, if you're not married to Wix, Wordpress might be a better option.
    nastobi123 wrote: »
    dude, sick stuff. Finally able to see your models in full. :)

Thanks!
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apparently I can upload the .mview to dropbox and reference it in the html of wix. I'm currently trying to figure out the code to reference it. a bit tough for me lol. I'll figure it out. ftp is not available to wix though, so yea that stinks.
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, i figured it out. I just went to artstation and I copied there .mview file location that I uploaded and I spliced it with the html file that exports from marmoset viewer.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Really awesome Joe, seriously, making the portfolio interactive allowed me to experience the art in totally new way. After all its game art were talking about here! It kind of reminded me of when I see a really amazing piece of art in a game and I'm zooming around it, getting as close as possible to see how it was made.

Im curious how big of a sacrifice it is to have the load times? I personally didnt mind it as they were quick, but putting myself in the position of an Art Director whos looking at 100 student portfolios a day, maybe kinda doubtful the piece is going to be worth it in the first place, do you think it would cause some people to tune out?

Perhaps a workaround is to have a static .jpeg displayed over the top as it loads? so that the more impatient observer could get an instant impression of the piece and decided weather to hire this hypothetical person based off that?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Dylan, the Viewer files on my site are in the 10-22MB range, which should load in 5 seconds or so on a decent broadband connection. I certainly get the concern, and you may want to include some traditional 2D images to guard against people in hiring positions with short attention spans. A lot of people are doing that are ArtStation now, posting a Viewer file along with renders.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I love how well it works on phones, now I really want to get a tablet to show off my work in person.

What I really want to see is game studios use interactive models like this for their website and account management. How cool would it be to see 3d models of your Diablo 3 or Warcraft characters with all their gear, in an idle pose. Or if a studio released a web character creation site that saved your character to your account to use in game, lots of potential uses.
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Joe. Just a heads up i'm on my phone and the toolbar below the mviewer is squished and you cant really notice it's there. But the mviewer works great!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Takes a bit longer to load than I'd like, but I think it's worth it in the end.

That layers button that shows all the different maps is great. Would be good if you could isolate one map at a time though if you wanted.

If I had to pick anything, I'd think about making your name a different color to at least stand out a bit more and break it apart from the navigation links beside it. Maybe the same red that's used down the bottom where it says "Marmoset Viewer".

All in all though, it's pretty slick.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You can isolate a layer by clicking on it. I think it probably needs to highlight the layer you are over to let you know you can do that.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    pretty good for a newbie
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think your header is too small and too cramped against the top of the page and the portfolio beneath. That's probably my biggest critique. A nicely designed header would do wonders.

Not a fan of that font choice. I think it feels a bit dated.

The powered by marmoset viewer text shouldn't be indented in. The feedly icon should be moved to the left to be lined up with the viewer box.

(love the work. wish it loaded instantly, but it's already magical enough working in the browser)
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Not bad Joe, not bad at all :p
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Agree with the header thing

What i mainly do not like is the big "HIGHPOLY" text which is pretty strongly represented, is there no way adding notes in the viewer ? Also the colors of all the backgrounds do not fit together
    in the previews on bottom, leaving a pretty unpleasing color palette , the pink bike and golden helmet are the main offenders but the rest is also not exactly harmonic , aside it looks pretty nice and minimalistic, just it looks like you are stuck with the exact number of works but I guess a scrollbar would fix that.
    You could also darken the background a bit more to get more of the showroom feel
  • Dvids
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvids polycounter lvl 4
    I agree with the critique about the header, font size and type.

The whole presentation feels a little bulky at this stage. The design could be a bit more subtle in my opinion. I get that the main focus is supposed to be on the big model viewer in the center of the page and the whole concept of interactivity, but the marmoset viewer already has the option to go into full screen mode if desired, so maybe reduce the size of the main window a bit and use a more consistent image ratio on those thumbnails (it somehow bugs me a bit that some of the weapon thumbnails are cut off and others are not - but maybe that's just me).

I'll definitely revisit the general typography and maybe even the color scheme of the page, it's a a bit grey except from the main view port and could benefit from an accent color and/or darker background color. The things Shrike said about the color palette also caught my eye.

It's a really cool Idea to keep it as straight forward as possible and focus on the "hands on" models, really diggin' that! It makes your portfolio quite unique. I'm curious how it turns out.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Very cool Portfolio. Nice arrangement and totaly clean.
    Like :)
  • leandrojsj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leandrojsj polycounter lvl 4
    Very nice portfolio.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys! The highpoly thing is meant as more of a warning if you're on a low end device, I wasn't sure how well ~600k triangle meshes would run on various phones.

aesir, I'm curious to know what device you've viewing the site on, on PC the header is pretty large, but it resizes to fit on various devices/resolutions. I tried to pick a size that was legible on mobile/tablets but not super huge on PC. Maybe I should look into special formatting rules for mobile, but honestly I have no idea how lol.
  • RitualSynergY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Awesome site man. Your HP stuff runs just fine on my phone by the way :D.
  • Tits
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Viewed the (stunning) content on 2 desktops and a HP chromebook 11 - scales fine, and even spinning the assets around on the chromebook worked. Many thumbs up
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »

aesir, I'm curious to know what device you've viewing the site on, on PC the header is pretty large, but it resizes to fit on various devices/resolutions. I tried to pick a size that was legible on mobile/tablets but not super huge on PC. Maybe I should look into special formatting rules for mobile, but honestly I have no idea how lol.

Hi EQ, just viewing on my PC. And by too small and cramped, I didn't mean readability so much as I meant the overall pixel height of the header. It's thin. The text itself is quite large in that space.
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I really enjoyed checking out your High Poly wire frames. Good work!