Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Eerie ambient death knight

Hi poly! I'm doing an illustration for a friend, it's his wow death knight and he loves jaguars, so I wanted to have her riding a jaguar in a sort of eerie/myst ambient. Both their eyes will be covered by blue smoke-y light but first I want to be sure that the composition works. I went for nothing fancy, just to keep it simple and focus on her and the jaguar.

So what could I improve about the composition before I finish the full values on them and start with coloring? Thank you!

P.S.: I'm having some problems with the mid and background too, I don't really know what to put there, now it seems like lost in the myst without anything noticeable :/ Should I leave it that way to make the viewer focus on her or maybe add more trees?

Dario2_zpspnpwpdpo.jpg

Replies

• drizs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drizs polycounter lvl 17
    First off -- It's a really nice idea and it's heading to a cool place!

You should practice making value thumbnails when making decisions on composition. It's very hard to judge good composition based on elements in the picture alone.

It's actually quite a complicated picture to perform, so hide as much as possible with smoke and fog!

I tried to do a quick paintover to give you some ideas :)https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4898391/eerie_deathknight_po.jpg

A couple of tips:

* keep contrast where the focus should be
    * have good value hierarchy to help guide the viewer
    * when you have fog and smoke, hide stuff.
    * don't make the composition too balanced, have small stuff and big stuff, not even stuff.
    * judge the abstract shapes in the picture, the more cohesive and pleasing the bigger abstract shapes are, generally the better the composition is.
  • Mnemosyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the critique and overpaint! (:

I'll apply the contrast and myst tips when I return next monday from a trip. Ty again, you were so useful!
  • Mnemosyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got time to work in this, I'm usually pretty busy with my job ):

So I changed it to a wallpaper version at 16:9 rate since my friend asked to have it as that and I thought that I could practice backgrounds more doing it.

This is what I got so far, her colors aren't final, they're just a reference to what I'll overpaint. I'm thinking about making the jaguar white instead of orange but I don't know how that would affect the composition.

I went towards a more swamp feel rather than woods, but I'll add some more myst I think. I'm still not satisfied at all with the background, any tips, please? :/

Dario-Recovered5b_zpsjzaukdlv.jpg
  • lutzbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lutzbot polycounter lvl 3
    this is shaping up really nicely!

to answer the question, that background has a lot of detail and crispy edge treatment from the photos you've used- it will sit in more if you either a: bring more of the high-frequency noise/crisp edges into the rest of the painting, or b: knock down those edges with blurs/smudges/whatever. In terms of value, the bright yellow greens there are jumping out a little bit. I think your next big step on this should be to ignore the background for the moment and hone in on the focal point though- if the render on the death knight and jaguar get tightened way up, everything else will work a bit better anyway.
    looking good. keep at it!