Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomical Man

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mitchellangelo polycounter lvl 7
I thought I'd try something a little different for this next piece. Those studios want anatomy, so I thought I'd give them anatomy. This is an anatomical study, from a model on 3D.sk. I've been working on this for weeks, trying to match the photographs. I figured it's time I opened it up to the floor for feedback.

X3hcFwX.jpg

XXdYxPU.jpg

XDEAl14.jpgCHmMr4i.jpg

I'll try to get the rest of the references up here tomorrow. Tonight for some reason IMGUR was being a jerk.

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Good start!
    The figure is not grounded, looks like he is falling back in the front shot. Make sure in the side view the figure is in balance. You can give the pose a bit of attitude to help you create an illusion of weight. Always sculpt your feet flat from the get go. The most common problem of all character pieces is the floating doll syndrome. I dont feel it is a good idea to show wip pics that are in ortho which these look like, even if you work that way.

Its a good idea to place the hands in a relaxed position. Palms out means twisted forearm if you are going to put the model in a tee pose for motion capture data. Even a relaxed start pose means twisted limbs. Regardless you should get used to sculpting that way specially if you mention targeting studios.

Opposing curves especially on the thighs are incorrect.

Always leave a bit of a gap between the legs so you can get a lowpoly bikini bottom type mesh in. I wouldn't want to rig this one.

The figure is still soapy melty and looks like you are going into tertiary detail befor the base foundation is expressive and/or correct.

Hope that helps
    Cheerio
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Kanga, that does help. Like I said all feedback is acceptable. I wonder if I chose an anatomical pose because I wanted to show some detailing on the hands. But if a T-Pose is more neautral, I can put him in a T-Pose.

This piece is solely for anatomy.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ok, I wouldnt put the figure in a t pose, just turn the hands so they are relaxed.

Cheers
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it, just turn the hands in. Thanks again for the feedback
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I have brought down his hands in and put him in more of a relaxed pose. I'm working on the extra details for the arms now that it's been posed. But still any feedback is appreciated.

BlnqWCX.jpgYiTUhbr.jpg
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the final skin detailing work. I am still going to make some tweeks. I have learned from this project that when it comes to reference you need to choose an attractive reference. But my goal for this one was accuracy to a photograph.

UfvisBj.jpg8TZrjVz.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Wait, you don't have to choose an attractive reference, Michael? How did you come to that conclusion?

This is looking tons better from your previous work, for sure! It's awesome! The corners of the mouth are still a bit off from the reference. The shape of the divots are not like you have them in the sculpt at the moment.
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    The details look really nice, but the overall forms are just wrong. If I were you I would go down a bunch of subdiv levels, get some good reference of an average male and get those forms down.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Thank you Brian! Well, one artist told me that with this particular model I should probably have used a more attractive reference for the legs, but like I said this was more about precision.

Pigart, which specific areas look off?
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Mostly the back of the head, neck, arm muscles, size of hands, legs.

Judging by the upper leg muscles it seems like you are going for a crazy body builder look.
    If you are doing that then you should make all the muscles big and well defined. Right now the calves look like the ones of an average male and the upper legs look like they just have blobby mass on them.
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong interpolator
    Looks like your anatomical male is missing his junk...
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you pigart, I can go back and redefine those areas.

Junkie Kong, his junk?....