Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci fi drone: loocking for a cool design. Critiques needed

Hi all, i'm studying a design for a sci-fi drone.
6nrc39o4748oaqmzg.jpg
tlbdc0ghnl9tokxzg.jpg
7ckmlxtu3fk2dq1zg.jpg
x5xled8ci83idv7zg.jpg
Critiques are welcome!!

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I see no images
  • DanglinBob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One key item of feedback! Your drone is apparently designed to shoot targets mostly ABOVE it (the turret is on the top). In theory if you're going to use a drone in combat you'd mount the weapons under it, with the assumption of taking on ground targets- so long as it can also point forward you'd be able to engage air targets as well. Granted maybe in your sci-fi world there are things above you to shoot :D

You could also make that entire bay double sided, so it can go both above and below the craft.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    I tend to grade most of my designs against their real-world counterparts (I'm a big stickler for accuracy in mechanical operation and such).

I'd start out by doing some research. A lot of research. Like a ton. I try to get around 25 - 50 solid design references before I start a project, and before then I might go through hundreds of images to nail down a design direction.

My big criticism for this is that it seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. The profile makes it look like a fast, sleek stealth vehicle, with its razor-thin profile and that nice sweeping body arch, but the details on it don't really fit in with that.

Having a big turret pop out of the middle would completely ruin the aerodynamics for something made to be fast and agile.

I find that form should follow function, at least in the initial design. What is this aircraft about? Is it a stealthy recon vehicle, designed to dart in and launch survey drones then zip away? Or a fast and furious gunship made for razing targets in the blink of an eye?
  • DerekPalmiuz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you all for your critiques!!
    At the moment i'm looking for a few concept and sci-fi design ;)

@Wasteland Melody
    I like the idea of a "fast and furious gunship made for razing targets in the blink of an eye"!! Do you have any advice for get it?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    You could look at designs like the A-10 Thunderbolt, or even jet fighters like the F22. Really any kind of jet might lend some cues.

Another good one might be the SR71 Blackbird- the sleekest of the sleek.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Also I'm pretty sure you should be iterating your concepts in 2D, even if you can't draw. That will ensure you don't waste time trying to change the 3D to find a good concept.