Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

A walking mech character paint up

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
VShane polycounter lvl 6
medi3kid3render4.jpg

Hey guys , a quick paint up in photoshop exploring form - more of a learning study -

CC's welcome!
-V

Replies

• lutzbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lutzbot polycounter lvl 3
    this is really cool! ! I have a couple of minor comments:

-there is a lot of silhouette breakup in unimportant areas- it draws the eye, especially with the rim lighting. I would consider smoothing out the silhouette and toning down the rim light in places that aren't as important (particularly the lower torso/butt).

-the lobsterlike armor gaps in the torso & shoulder armor feel a little strange to me. I believe it's because they sort of 'seal up' as they wrap around the armor, but there is no panelling or structure supporting that. If they are there to provide air intake I would consider terminating the openings in a more familiar way- like from the air intakes on a car or jet or similar- and if they're for flexibility then I would let the cut go all the way across the panel. That said, the treatment you gave to the helmet is pretty successful, so it may just be a question of bringing the rest of the body closer to that. Also, I'm not sure how this guy could raise his right arm with the shoulder plate the way it is, unless the side-panel hinged upward?..

-the right gauntlet is getting a wee bit soft- the U shaped panel on it doesn't feel at home with the rest of the armor.

overall loving the style and vision here. the cloth is rendered nicely too.