Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chinese cyberpunk suburbs - [Substance+UE4] - export problems

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys I abandoned previous thread, for few reasons - one of reason I won't be learning modo right now I gonna do that later. Ok so here we go - I'm creating chinese cyberpunkish suburbs based on reference picture below. Im already very excited to work with substance it's very useful. Before going to pictures and stuff please tell me how to set up properly UE4 and substance painter, when I export that to UE4 it's looking much worse - even that it using same resolution, I turned off sRGB on roughness and metallic and still it isn't same thing. If you know answers for that I would love to hear it. Comparison:
roCWMkf.jpg

This is my biggest problem and I started to worry, about whole workflow with it, need some answers to problems.

Enviro Reference:
fjjZKRo.jpg

Quick 3dsmax view:
Egm6Bbv.jpg

Ok rest of prop screens - those were rendered in marmoset:
NMPeIE1.png
VpTpwrE.png
eCzRHYl.png

YOLESHx.png
6VWVWgv.png
FSPeTlW.png

roQ9dK4.png
aGBIHi5.png
zHA4PPP.png
lkLQAMx.png

I'm always open to criticism would like to see some, and please help me with export from painter to UE4 and that quality in UE4. TY in advance!

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You are not going to get the same results in two different rendering engines. I wouldn't say your asset looks worse either, there is slightly different saturation, and a different normal map filter. Also UE4 has baked it lighting, so make sure you bake the lighting in your scene to get a better representation of your final asset.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I'd say it's about 99% lighting situation. Painter uses an hdr image, while your ue4 picture is more in direct light, which obviously creates the shadows. (actually it's the model viewer)
    The color of the lighting is also different compared to painter.
    yeah.. if it wouldn't work you'd definitly notice it (; I had those problems
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know much about those kinds of bikes but is it supposed to have a chain? I can't figure out how it would actually work. Not so much criticism, more curiosity. :)
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
    I think that you guys, are right I did quick test with reimporting to painter same textures that it exported, and it looked almost same , so thanks for comments. I will just continue doing things and post enviro progress itd. Thanks for help!

Hah MattyWS you're 100% right ! Eagle eye! :DD I didn't do it because it was on another UV and I forgot to add it to marmo :D