Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Rifle (pew-pew)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
Yo.

Making this sci fi rifle. I think the concept is by an artist named Kris Thaler for rmory studios:

rmory_ascend_ar_04.jpg

I've almost finished the high poly I think. There's some littler floater details I have to make, and I think for some parts, such as the cuts in the panels, that I'm going to use ndo. HP shots in toolbag.

6oDLKjx.png

YuPHSZ9.png

ZqMwcab.png

Replies

• OFPismySOP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OFPismySOP polycounter lvl 6
    You have some seriously nasty looking n-gons on the sight lens. I'd take care of that before moving on.
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Your edges are super tight, this will not bake very well.

Overall however the rifle looks rather nice.

Some of the insets and details are not exact but still nice.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your edges are super tight, this will not bake very well.

Overall however the rifle looks rather nice.

Some of the insets and details are not exact but still nice.

Thanks. I suspect a lot of the edges might be too tight. I planned to go in and soften them up a bit before I start the low poly. I'm not really sure how soft or hard edges should be though.

Some of the details and shapes I changed once I got it all into 3D as I didn't like a few of them.
    You have some seriously nasty looking n-gons on the sight lens. I'd take care of that before moving on.

Yeah, I don't think that's the only spot I've done that. They'll be fixed easy enough.
  • Lord Striker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XnnBIM0.png

The gun looks really good, but the main issues are with the modelling.

I understand that you're trying to give a hexagonal look to the sight, but the modelling that you've used to do it just isn't that good. I would recommend fixing it up and instead trying a normal map in order to bump it out a little. It'd probably look better that way, too.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    ngons do not matter on a highpoly model, as long as it smooths well.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deciding to texture this in dDo, which I've hardly used since I bought.

This is what I have so far.

FpkiziK.png

Crits welcome.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New version. Got it into marmoset.

PJMvNRw.png
  • Wasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good. Just a few suggestions;
    - Your metal doesn't look like metal at all, moreso like toy plastic.
    - I would recommend taking another look at your edges on your high poly, as your normal map isn't coming across to me

66q0O.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER wrote: »
    ngons do not matter on a highpoly model, as long as it smooths well.

Yes, this. ^^ n-gons and triangles are fine if the model smooths correctly and the normal map bakes cleanly. Fussing over them when they aren't causing any harm is wasting time.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, this. ^^ n-gons and triangles are fine if the model smooths correctly and the normal map bakes cleanly. Fussing over them when they aren't causing any harm is wasting time.

Yeah, I knew they were n-gons but knew they would smooth fine so I forgot about them. Did have to change that front one though because it wasn't smoothing well.

All good though. I'm past that stage.
    Looks good. Just a few suggestions;
    - Your metal doesn't look like metal at all, moreso like toy plastic.
    - I would recommend taking another look at your edges on your high poly, as your normal map isn't coming across to me

Yeah, I'm struggling with that metal material. I'm trying to follow the material in the concept and it looks dull there.

I kept most of my edges really soft. I'm not sure why they're not coming through. They seem like it to me though.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to fix the metal material as suggested. How's this look:

gk0mRBA.jpg
  • MNBerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep trying to push materials and your material separation. Adding some more of the nicks and scratches that are in the concept will probably help. I actually liked the orange lines you had I think you should bring em back!
  • xxroxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xxroxx polycounter lvl 3
    Perhaps lighting isn't doing justice? Still doesn't look much like metal. Looks awesome, though.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I'm going to move on from this:

tc6N4CG.jpg
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Hayden the model turned really good. Design reminds me of the halo battle rifle. If you get any time to come back to this add in some edge wear. Even just the slightest bit. The grunge seems sort of just tossed on which is sort ok if you're going for that really worn look but the rouhness just doesnt seem to have values. Can you post your flats? Im curious how the roughness looks

I'm sure you looked up real world examples of the materials you were using. Here's a great example of how roughness maps can really make your model pop http://www.marmoset.co/wp-content/uploads/joerishota02.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment, Chase. Yeah, I've seen that image you posted. Would love to get that level of quality in the textures, but sort of struggling with it. Here are the textures:

xO1YB2Z.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey this looks like its good but could be awesome with just a little more finess. Some ideas: add more contrast to your metalness map, bring your metals closer to white and your paintwork/plastic a bit closer to black. Add a bit more noisyness to your roughness map and some more definition of details/wear. Also your lighting looks a bit flat, get more contrast in your lighting environment/setup. Also your albedo is quite bright, maybe try just bringing down the lightness of the bright white paint about 25% and letting the lighting/shader do the rest. this thread is a good example of refining materials in pbr on a weapon http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131337&page=4