Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Water-based Blacksmith Diorama

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
Hey all,

I'm starting my next project and figured it would be good to track progress and receive feedback with a WIP thread.

The environment is based on some concept art that I found a while ago by .D.C. (that's the only text on the image that looks like a name).

blacksmith_concept_by_DC.jpg

The goal is to complete the interior and exterior while remaining efficient with maps and geometry (sorry that's vague, but I'm not sure what a realistic number of maps/tris would be at the moment). I may set hard limits after I complete the blockout. Suggestions are welcome.

Planned software is 3ds Max, Zbrush, xNormal, Photoshop, and UE4.

Speaking of the blockout, I've set up some super quick geometry to get a feel for the proportions.

blacksmith_blockout_01.jpg

I have made some on-the-fly adjustments to the concept to support what I think would make the building more structurally sound. This can mostly be seen in the supporting stilt legs right now.

The next steps will be to refine the blockout, figure out what assets I need and what can be reused many times, and find more reference about how log cabins are actually assembled.

I'm always open to feedback or suggestions. Let the party begin.

Replies

• cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 polycounter lvl 11
    I'm subscribed... lets see where this goes Adam :D
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Clint! :)
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forcing myself to post something on this to feel obligated to finish it. The free time for personal projects has been low lately. Just a small update and then I'm heading out on vacation for a week, so nothing new will happen until at least the end of next week haha. Just some unique logs and seaweed billboards that can be used throughout the environment. Screenshot is from 3ds Max and is only currently albedo and occlusion.

blacksmith_logs_01.jpg
  • cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats looking cool. Maybe fire out a way to tighten up the normal map at the ends.

Even older wood planks have pretty hard cuts at the ends where they are exposed:
    http://il7.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/5084219/thumb/1.jpg
    Ref link

Keep at it dude!
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 wrote: »
    thats looking cool. Maybe fire out a way to tighten up the normal map at the ends.

Even older wood planks have pretty hard cuts at the ends where they are exposed:
    http://il7.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/5084219/thumb/1.jpg
    Ref link

Keep at it dude!

Thanks, man. I'll take a look at it. I have the ends of the logs separated on the map, so bumping them up a bit in the normal should be easy enough.

Edit: I think I misunderstood initially. I believe what you're seeing may require an adjustment to smoothing. Either way, should be easy stuff.
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just another small update. Took Clint's comments into consideration and tightened up the log ends. Also added a bit more irregularity to the angle they are "cut" on the ends. Added a few unique planks in that can be used throughout the scene. Currently, the texture for the logs contains all six unique logs and the texture for the planks has space to hold five unique planks. This should give me enough variety to be able to hide duplication in the scene.

blacksmith_logs_02.jpg
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little bit more work on this... Managed to get 6 unique logs on a map and 5 unique planks on another, so two total maps so far. Started instancing objects around to see if anything started to feel repetitive.

blacksmith_blockout_02.jpg
  • mhofever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mhofever polycounter lvl 9
    You will need to study more wood textures as most of your diorama will consist of different types of wood. It's a good start having that blocking out but your plank and log setup looks too artificial. Everything looks too straight, both the planks and logs need to look more irregular (i.e one log is sticking out and longer than some of the others, the planks will have slight rotation to break up that straightness).

Also, you'll need to look at some references of fishing piers and docks. Look at how the wood textures will be slightly dirty and a tiny tad bit mossy from the water.
    My suggestion is before you go any further, collect as much references as you can for that whole diorama (fishing house, fishing pier, fishing boat, blacksmith stuff). When you have more references, you'll get better ideas on how you would want your stuff to look. Obviously you can still make it more stylised but it's good to get some real world references.

It's good that you have that modular pier set put on to one texture map. Some artists will tend to pack a set of something into one texture map to optimise the levels better and also to keep that texel density consistency with those set pieces.

Interested to see how this progresses. It's a fun subject to do, so most important thing is just have fun!
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mhofever wrote: »
    You will need to study more wood textures as most of your diorama will consist of different types of wood...snip...so most important thing is just have fun!

Thanks for taking the time to give such great feedback! I really appreciate it. I beleive that the first part is due to my poor screenshot. I actually felt like I was putting quite a bit of variation, at least on the ends (I'm assuming the underside will rarely be visible).

The fishing pier advice is spot on. All of th reference I've gotten so far is mostly for blacksmith items and log homes. I'll admit I did skimp a bit on the pier reference.

Texture variation is something I've been struggling with. I want to have that variation, but I also want to stay semi-modular. As I added dirt/moss to the maps, it became more and more apparent that items were repeating. I may end up using some alpha planes or decals in Unreal to accomplish the variation.

I'm definitely having fun with it. Most of my work lately has been props and it feels good to get back into an environment, albeit a small one.

Here are some closer screenshots. Do you think more variation is needed? Thanks again.

blacksmith_logs_03.jpg
  • PolyAccountant
    Looks like you're getting a lit of good, solid feedback. I won't belabor the points already made. I think the instancing is very successful - i find it very difficult to detact dupes anywhere without pointedly going in to look for them.

Love the desaturated hues in the planks and logs. My eyes are tired from all the super saturated maps out there these days.

I disagree with the comment suggesting slime, mold and mud. Who is to say that this isn't a freshly constructed smithy? Or that the tennant smith isn't obsessive compulsive about shop cleanliness? Only you know (maybe the concept artist too). Dirty it up, or not, as you see fit. Clean things can be as appealing and express as much character as dirty things in the hands of a good artist. Dirt is so often used as a crutch. :)

Keep it up! I can't wait to see where your vision takes this scene. Again, great stuff.
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After moving, starting a new job, and all of the hectic things that go along with it, I'm finally settled and needing to throw myself back into a project.

I'm setting the goal of posting progress at least twice a week. @cmc444, consider this my oath haha. Work should commence this weekend.
  • cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why wait? Start tonight ;)
  • cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking for some updates here @avenali312

• avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for keeping up with me @cmc444. I've been fumbling through a couple things like the mud packing between logs and a suitable water material; both of which would have taken no time at all back in the day, but I guess that's what happens when you step away for a while. I keep leaving the house without screenshots to post. I'll get them up when I get home.
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did an initial export to get some stuff into Unreal to start a scene so I have a basis for materials. Materials are just in a basic state right now. Dirt, wear, and details are still to come. Just getting some of the scene in-engine gives me some motivation to continue haha. Obviously, the water level is missing. That's next.

• cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Put some more geo in there. Also get some details on those wood board edges. These arent new board I imagine and they should be water warped. 
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 said:
    Put some more geo in there. Also get some details on those wood board edges. These arent new board I imagine and they should be water warped. 

You know, it's funny. I was playing Uncharted last night (only on chapter 12 right now) and saw some wood and thought to myself "that's some high poly wood" haha. More geometry is on the way for sure, in addition to some warping. Thanks for the reference!
  • cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polys are way cheaper than they used to be and depending on the complexity of the scene and amount of assets you can push a lot more geo into your project.