Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A face a day will hopefully make me not as bad

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
samnwck polycounter lvl 9
So faces have always been one of my weak areas(female faces especially). Though I never practiced enough to get good at them and I've been putting my 3d on the backburner because of long hours at work. However I've decided that all needs to change so I'm going to start doing a head a day for as much free time as I can muster every night.

So here's the result of Day 1: (She's my first female head ~2hrs)
jMdUQFI.png
sJv1AzO.png
GVYtHPF.png
I did horns because I felt like it.

I would love some crit.(also I am aware about the general shape of the head. Didn't have time to finish it and make it look right.) Also she started from a sphere.

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe a good place to start would be to do some skulls?

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/record_family.php?id=266
  • TheWalkerGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's with the scratch marks? Also you might not want to restrict yourself to just a day, especially if you end up not having time to make the shape look right.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Practice does not make perfect! Perfect practice makes perfect!

If you are actually trying to improve your quality, the best thing you can do for yourself is sit down and really try and study and work on getting the forms correct. Doing a sculpt the same way, everyday, will not make you an anatomy expert or make incorrect forms all of the sudden correct.

The only thing a sculpt a day will do for you is make you faster at doing them.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tobbo - That's good advice, and I agree.

I think the objective for my exercise has somewhat been lost. It is indeed my intention to become better at form, nor do I think my stuff is that great, however I'm not exactly sure what you mean by me doing a sculpt the same way everyday. That is entirely not my intention of doing this, this is meant to be incremental process. To look at where I went wrong the previous day and work towards righting those wrongs. Starting with a clean slate and learning from mistakes of the previous session is.

I would also like to stress I'm not limiting myself to a certain time limit on any particular day at all. Such as tomorrow being my only day off for the week I intend to spend a larger amount of time to further refine what I'm putting down.

Also, I'm still looking for critiques on my original sculpt, as no one's pointed any things I should be focusing on (primarily on the face, I know the head is garbage.)

Thanks guys!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I'm still looking for critiques on my original sculpt,

The face is too rough to really comment on fully.

Though the jaw is weirdly formed from the front, and you need to pay a lot of attention to the eye sockets and the transition from bony to fleshy.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, here was today's sculpt. I really wrestled with this one for many hours, lips are truly the bane of my existence. It was supposed to be another female, however I feel like it look just as much like an adolescent male.
    pC0J7Xu.png
    W0k0oiK.png
    TwLOujm.png
  • TheWalkerGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't worry about the hair right now. I'd focus on getting the shape and anatomy of the head and face down first. The upper part of the head, everything above the eyebrows, looks too big in my opinion (although that could be because of the hair). Also I think the ears need better overall definition
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better. Keep going.

Still going to say that some skull studies would help out greatly.
  • oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oreoorbitz polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good, remember refrences are you friend, I know if I don't have refrence my faces start falling down uncanny valley, I think the more of a newbie you are the more refrence you should use. Maybe do a Asaro planes sculpture. Try starting out by tracing the images in zbrush, then do another one just using them as refrence. I'd say there are three main issues:

1. The ear feels to thick, , the placement feels ok, but it feels to thick, maybe angle it a lttile bit

2. The cheek is too big, or not consitently big, The cheek is formed by the zygomatic bone, which is connected the zygomatic arch, a person won't have a cheek that jets out with out having an arch that jets out

3. eye lids check out this neat tutorial on doing [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA4QziHEk8E"]eyelids[/ame], I use it whew I struggle with them.

I used to do a face a day a while back, If I did that consitently untill, oh boy I would I be good, alas i'm not.

Keeo it up!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Reference is important but don't just look at photos of faces. Find some anatomical reference...skull and muscle structure of the face. Nose, eye socket, lip muscle structure. Planes of the head is also a great reference. Stay at a very low subdivision and get the forms right. I can tell your mesh density is way too high and you're going to spend more time fighting the geo while trying to fix anatomical issues.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Thewalkergod - The hair was a last minute addition just because I hated how unfemale she looked and I figured it'd at least help out in that regard. As far as the upper part of the head I thought the same thing, however once I actually checked the proportions (Eye line being appx. half the height of the head) it was in fact slightly larger than it should've been, but not by much. The ears were also very much a late addition and didn't get nearly enough time put into them.

@Muzz I'm starting to understand now why that'd be very helpful. There was many times during the sculpt where I was doing a lot of guess work on proportions that could've been solved by just a skull underneath. However, as much as I think it'd be helpful I don't want to become reliant on having it there to the point where I can't do a head without a skull being there as a guide. Though perhaps that thought is misguided.

@Oreoorbitz Thanks for tutorial, and also thanks for pointing out the zygomatic anatomy reference. I can't tell you how many times I redid her cheek bones and I feel had I just actually checked some anatomy it probably could've saved much of my time.

@slosh As I said above I'm definitely finding out how important anatomy is. I used a skull reference at the beginning to help me shape the skull but then I ditched that after that initial period which is definitely an oversight. And I'm learning how important it is to stay a low resolution as well. I tried to just keep throwing polys at my lips to make them look right but they never did so I just scrapped it and re-dynameshed down to a much lower res and eventually that fixed most of my issue (I still do not like the way they look).

So I have just a general question now, at this point I have just been using multiple model references to do the faces, would it be more less helpful to try to just zero in on one person and using them for all my angles or is it fine to use references from a number of people and use a composite of their many features.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to do another head today. Which I actually think is the first time I sculpted a human face since I last posted in this thread. At least I can tell my sculpting skills have matured a bit since Apr 2015. Feedback is appreciated

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    looking a little too long/tall, but an improvement for sure.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic said:
    looking a little too long/tall, but an improvement for sure.
    Good catch, I knew something looked a bit off...

How does this look

So I'm going for an adult woman for this, but sometimes i look at it and it almost looks a bit more like a child? am I crazy or do you guys see it too a bit?
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    Looks better but there are some oddities that I can't place.

I would start a new one based on reference and post that as well. And seriously keep your stuff reallllllly low as long as possible and focus on large forms. The lip creases and anything textural isn't important at all. It's challenging for people but Its the best thing you can do to improve your zbrushing. Faces are about very subtle form changes, it is a lot easier to control and focus on that stuff at very low polygon counts.
  • oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my, two years, time flies doesn't it? I'm sad to say I don't think i've improved much in two years.

Here is some humble advice again:

1. So the way you have the zygomatic-frontal note quite right, I don't have photoshop right now so it's hard to describe, so i'll use some refrence images and wurds:

See how misses portman has huge cheekbones, but the top-side parts of her brow don't jet out as much as her cheeks? The way you have it right now makes the side of the brow look bulging

I also think you might have too much concavity on side of  her head. In men that area is often concave, but in women sometimes it actually comes out a bit becuase of fat acumalted there. 

2. The bottom eyelids right now are a bity bumpy, try adding some volume to them with the inflate brush, and smoothing them a bit. They should feel like they are being affected by gravity.

3. the ears need a little lovin, they feel undeveloped now.

4. She would probably look more attractive if her nose was a bit smaller

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my, two years, time flies doesn't it? I'm sad to say I don't think i've improved much in two years.

Here is some humble advice again:

1. So the way you have the zygomatic-frontal note quite right, I don't have photoshop right now so it's hard to describe, so i'll use some refrence images and wurds:

See how misses portman has huge cheekbones, but the top-side parts of her brow don't jet out as much as her cheeks? The way you have it right now makes the side of the brow look bulging

I also think you might have too much concavity on side of  her head. In men that area is often concave, but in women sometimes it actually comes out a bit becuase of fat acumalted there. 

2. The bottom eyelids right now are a bity bumpy, try adding some volume to them with the inflate brush, and smoothing them a bit. They should feel like they are being affected by gravity.

3. the ears need a little lovin, they feel undeveloped now.

4. She would probably look more attractive if her nose was a bit smaller

Two years indeed flew by. I was working QA for a while in there and my work stagnated for a long time because of that, (I was always learning and working but never pursued many long term meaningful projects). 

Excellent suggestion with the cheekbones. It was a minor change but I think it had a big impact on the overall look of the model. I honestly don't know how I misread the way they looked so bad. Though I didn't quite do them quite to the pronouncement of Natalie's, but hopefully you'll be able to see the difference.

As far as the eyelids, I'm realizing  that they might be my weakest area right now, and apparently were before as well looking at the past comments. Some of it is a little bit topology since I'm still only dynamesh (same reason why the ear looks a little bumpy following the curve the cartilage) but a lot of it is still me trying to perceive the area correctly. Hopefully--- it's somewhat improved now.

Looks better but there are some oddities that I can't place.

I would start a new one based on reference and post that as well. And seriously keep your stuff reallllllly low as long as possible and focus on large forms. The lip creases and anything textural isn't important at all. It's challenging for people but Its the best thing you can do to improve your zbrushing. Faces are about very subtle form changes, it is a lot easier to control and focus on that stuff at very low polygon counts.
    The lip texture was mostly for me just having a bit of fun, but I get what you're saying. I decided to keep with it and hopefully it looks a bit better now.

Great feedback guys, seriously, keep them coming.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Touched up a few more things that looked wrong once I exported the model to another application that weren't very apparent in zbrush. Also added a bit more roundness to her forehead and temples and threw it in Marmoset for some lookdev.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SKULKLSSLLSSSSS!  DO SKULLS!
    Is there anything in particular wrong, or is this just a suggestion to help get a better sense of the underlying bone?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, did a skull. I can say I learned along the way that I definitely had quite a few things wrong, even when I was looking at skull references. Hopefully the skull itself looks like it's got the right proportions and everything. Thanks everyone for the help. If everything looks okay, I think I'll probably start working on throwing some flesh on it.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Newest head. Hopefully this one looks more anatomically correct.

• oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much improvement.

Your main problem areas seem to be:

Eyes

The nose

The ears

Lets start with the eyes:
    IN all your models you've shown you seem to strugle with the eyes the most.
    I'd reccomend finding a good female basemesh ( http://www.badking.com.au/site/shop/human/female-base-meshby-eugene-fokin/ ) and doing a study of an eye based of reference. Focusing on really get the forms and tranistions down.

The nose:
    It's hard to describe, and I don't have photoshop installed.  You have the bridge of your nose too concave. the bridge actually is a tiny bin convex. On females the bridge of the nose looks concave becuase of the tranisition into the ball of the nose

The ears:
    I"m crap at the ears, i'll let someone give suggestions on that

Last thing:

The model seems a bit ethneicly confused, did you check what ethnecity the skull refrence you used was?
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe most of the issues you described have since been worked out. 

Started messing about with some hair designs. Trying to figure out the best way to get coverage, but also not have polys everywhere. 

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Body work! (kinda NSFW)

Got the body mostly the way I want, maybe a couple proportion oddities, went for a gymnast build. Just need to get the feet, hands and forearms up to snuff and I think I should be good to go to start adding some clothes. Hair will need to be redone, at this point I'm not sure of what kind of costuming I want to do.