Home Technical Talk

Blender - Paint &Texture problem

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
Blender 2.73

I have my object with UVs on but i can't paint over it because Blender can't find what texture is on it.
I keep creating textures with new names in the "add paint slot" over and over again but my object stay "pink" (texture missing) no matter what.

I learn Blender here and there on my sparetime but so far the journey is even harder than Softimage3D, i mean ..... wtf ?

Blender_texture_slot.jpg

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    This is strange, but you are displaying the brushes not the actual picture, so click on where it says Brush and select Image Texture, in the picture slot you can then load the file you want, and that's what you'll see in the viewport.

You can also open the node editor and connect the Image Texture directly into the material Color input, or see if there are some connections broken on there.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Normally it should ask you what type of map it's gonna be:uA83J94.png

Does that happen with everything or just with this thing (helmet?!) ?

It might be something with your material, can you add new one to it and try again?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JustMeSR

I've chosen Diffuse Color for paint slot and created my map.

Diffuse.jpg

@SonicBlue

"so click on where it says Brush and select Image Texture, in the picture slot you can then load the file you want"

Yes i did that i picked the map i just created but my object stays "pink". I looked around i got UVs on my object, created a texture with the paint slot.

Here's a pic of the node editor, i haven't been there yet, didn't touch anything.

Node_editor.jpg
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    I think I found what's wrong but as I'm not a Blender expert I can't explain you why it doesn't work.

You are using Blender with the Blender Render and you have the "Use shader nodes to render the material" checked, this prevents you from painting, if you uncheck it, and you'll be able to paint again.

iNPPFVM.png

Blender Render seems to be messy, so it's better to set Blender to use Cycles instead, you can change it from the dropdown menu at the top of the window, by default it's next to Screen Layout (Default) and Scene manager (Scene), if you haven't change that.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to both of you for the help.

I'm going to spend a little time today and see if i could try on an other mesh. I'm going to use some of the things you have suggested me. I did a few tutorial and i find Blender to be quite fun. I just love the Cycles render.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally got it,

i took the mesh from blender and sent it Modo and from there i created a *.obj instead of a *.fbx (fbx --to--> obj). Did a few paint-over test with random meshes.

I can now paint over my highpoly. Thanks everyone

Blender_LEgo2.jpg