Home Technical Talk

Orient constraint in Maya issue

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jfitch polycounter lvl 5
Hey dudes, not sure whats going on here. Driving me a little crazy.

I'm creating a control rig based for my character with nurbs curves in Maya 2015, and when I try to orient constrain some of the FK joints to their nurbs curve it rotates the bone (when I click the button to constrain). It only happens on select joints, at the moment the elbow is giving me trouble. The join and the curve have zeroed rotations.

The local rotation of the elbow joint does not entirely match the rotation of the elbow control curve. Is this that important? I suppose its not too hard to break that out of the hierarchy and fix the rotation, but it seems to me that the joint shouldn't be doing this, even if the orientation of the object its constrained to is wacky.

Here's some screens:

The curve and its transforms
az37N13.png

The bone and its transforms
oqnE6VQ.png

The bone after the orient constraint:
ojH6u8a.png

I've done this before and haven't had any issues. Any thoughts? Could it be trying to blend constraints with the curve for the upper arm? Every other joint seems to work fine so far.

Replies

• jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    So I unparented, recreated the curve, reoriented to the joint, and then did the orient constraint and now its fine.

The fuck.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anyone knows why this happened so I don't mess it up again?

EDIT: Now its happening on other bones. Why, Maya, why?

EDIT x2: I'm a derp. Everything is fixed now.