Home General Discussion

2K Australia in Canberra closes its doors

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Stirls polycounter lvl 8
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/04/2k-australia-in-canberra-closes-its-doors/

My wishes go out to those who've lost their jobs. This is the last AAA company in Australia to have been standing.

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Oh shit, for real? I actually knew a number of people who worked there. Good luck, guys, I hope it's as easy a transition as possible.

At this point, we've really only got start ups, maybe a few indie teams and a few solid mobile studios here, huh? Not an inherently negative thing, but it does make the future job search just that extra bit more difficult. :/
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Such a shame. Another blow to the Australian games industry. Best of luck to those affected!
    Here's a document that's going around at the moment with available positions in Australia and Internationally -- 2k Aus Jobs Doc
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    That's an incredibly comprehensive list. I hope those who are looking for work down here find that doc helpful!

It's a shame a majority of the studios are mobile-based. But I guess that's where the money is.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Mobile, social and casual is all the Aussie game's industry has left.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I wanted to work there :(
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    ambershee wrote: »
    Mobile, social and casual is all the Aussie game's industry has left.

Shit, we didn't get that memo. @___@

Seriously sucks to see so many talented people out of work, good luck to all caught up in this.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    It's so sad to hear this, my thoughts go out to everyone at the studio.

Australia used to be a hot house for the games industry, the government has never supported it, in fact I find them quite hostile to the industry. I hope they turn things around and support it in the future.

"Last week it was revealed The Australian Interactive Games Fund (AIGF) had been completely axed."

"It is concerning that the decision to end the Australian Interactive Games Fund was made with absolutely no consultation with industry."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/05/19/australian-government-aputs-no-valuea-on-games-industry
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    But hey, with the money saved we get school Chaplains... @____@
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Australia is in a period of absolute idiocy. We need to be investing in a technological and scientific based economy, as our resource booms are ending and renewable will be destroying those industries anyway.

But instead we are having no money invested in infrastructure, nor are we having any govt support.

Luckily we do have a ton of indies popping up and actually doing cool things.
  • Technix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    Australia is in a period of absolute idiocy. We need to be investing in a technological and scientific based economy, as our resource booms are ending and renewable will be destroying those industries anyway.

Ironically that was the excuse used to cut funding to the manufacturing industry which caused the complete collapse of our automotive industry as well as various other factories closing down. Tens of thousands of jobs lost but thats ok because Australia is meant to be moving away from manufacturing and into science/engineering/technology, you know the smart country and all that spin.

But where is the investment in these "smart" industries. Oh thats right they gave a few million dollars to that unlimited detail con-artist so he could spend 10 years writing a basic sparse voxel octree renderer. Money well spent.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i don't condone de-investrment of profitable industries. When they become truly unprofitable, they will go their course naturally.

The money is there. But it's going to the wrong places. it's financing scammy colleges, and lining the pockets of the short term greedy. That sort of money has a habit of disappearing without contributing back to the economy.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Victoria did just recently recover one of its games development funds. It's not enormous - less than 1 million in all, but it's better than the nothing we had previously.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's great news!
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Victoria did just recently recover one of its games development funds. It's not enormous - less than 1 million in all, but it's better than the nothing we had previously.

That's really good to hear. Committees are the key to keeping little communities bonded together. Whether it's a corporate shindig or just in causal meeting in a pub it really does not take much money for little meetings to happen. I am on the board of a couple of committees and its not so much the money that's splashed around that can spark great ideas but the shared ideology that can really help the games industry as a whole, specialized skills, geographical location and so on.

Games Eden is an example "Games Eden is committed to promoting, supporting and raising the profile of the computer development sector within Cambridgeshire and the East of England as a whole."
    http://www.gameseden.net/

As another example, The Soho film industry in London have a healthy bond of sharing recruiting between the different companies, if a project is about to finish rather then letting the talent move away from the area the recruitment departments all openly talk to each other (normally in a pub or Friday lunch club) to help keep the talent within Soho.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Malus wrote: »
    Shit, we didn't get that memo. @___@

Seriously sucks to see so many talented people out of work, good luck to all caught up in this.

Off Topic: Nice to see you guys here - great game, from what I've tested up until now!
  • Thoss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thoss polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, I have a friend who went over at the end of last year.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    Such a bummer, good luck to the staff.

I remember when Team Bondi closed it's doors along with a few other studios, a lot of people said Australia would recover in a few years, given how fast the games industry has grown and how much money it produced.

Guess not, still have Indie and Mobile at least though. I guess at this point you just have to be small enough to dodge the costs that major studios are hit with.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy, it takes more time for that.

All the new companies have their heads down working. They won't grow until they start to actually release product.