Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SciFi Command Center (UE4)

Working on a scifi scene, thought it was getting to about the point where I should ask for some feedback, so if you'd like to leave something, don't be afraid to be harsh :)

Most of the scene is only blocked out, at the most placeholder objects, with the exception of the walls. And those have parts i'm thinking of changing.

For a bit of setup; I started off by thinking scifi air traffic control, and started off with these two ref sheets:

eLWhKiD.png

JW34eXY.png

I have a couple of others for little things, but I was using these mostly for the style, taking concepts mostly from Halo and the Alien franchise. Gotta love them bevels!

Before blocking it out and throwing it into UE4 to get some idea of lighting and layout, style, etc: JvmJYcX.png

Then I modeled out the walls and starting to put some concept meshes into the scene, with a little better lighting, but nothing approaching final:

dTs1pVw.png
NXnFfaE.png
mnwXU93.png
nroDNZq.png

I still don't know what exactly I'm doing with the floor/roof, there's a lot of empty space, but I have some ideas, I'll be modelling those out soon.

Again, i'd be very grateful for any feedback/ideas/crits, no matter how brutal :D

Replies

• Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Nice, it already looks promising :) I really hope you keep the color scheme you got there.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    My kind of environment! Make sure you have some areas of rest aswell, your wallpieces are pretty intense, lots of depth and varying sizes of shapes in them. Make sure you have some cleaner areas to counter all that noise :)
  • nuclearjelly
    @Cay Thanks! I will do, good to hear it works and I'm not just crazy! :D

@Snefer Thanks! I will do, I was thinking of maybe using the less noisy versions more or reducing the noise, but I'll keep that in mind instead/as well in the meantime. Thanks!
  • nuclearjelly
    Little bit of an update: Built out a lot of the floors/roof, haven't really touched anything else though, those consoles and stuff are still pretty basic. I tried to reduce the noise on he wall a little, but I feel it still needs some work. Haven't done as much as I'd hoped to, but hopefully I can get on to texturing better lighting soonish.

IgNn5fr.png
    CLE9kdS.png

Also just messing around with the colours, trying out more of a bronze on the roof and floor/some of the wall. Good/bad?

yy7jNy4.png
    lge7cRI.png

I also kinda forgot to add chairs into the screens, I'll put them in in the next post though :D
  • planetpolygon
    Offline / Send Message
    planetpolygon polycounter lvl 5
    looks very good. Could you please post breakdown of your elements ?
  • DanielR17
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Nicholas,

I just saw your blog and the wood floor version of this :) It's funny that you tried that. I really like what you've done so far with this Sci-Fi room. That's a very good basis. With props, textures and a nice view on the outside space (with stars and gas clouds), you'll be on a winner.

Just a thought: I see keyboards. Don't you think computer interfaces should be tactile in such an environment? Or maybe keyboards are more reliable in a command center?
  • nuclearjelly
    Little minor update: Cleaned up the scene a little bit and played with the colours a tad, lighting's still all off though.

OK2YQKp.png
    looks very good. Could you please post breakdown of your elements ?

Thanks, I'd love to! Bare in mind the only thing's i'm happy with so far are the walls and the floors/roof, pretty much everything else is gonna change, but here are some examples of what I've got so far:

JBg77oS.png

NapfO2r.png

It's not all of the components, and there are a few unique sections here and there, but mostly they're all just instances of each other in the main scene.

Basically i just make the corners using a bend modifier with a few extra divisions, which I guess is kinda lazy, but it works. Sadly that's all I have to show off... for now :D
    DanielR17 wrote: »
    Hi Nicholas,

I just saw your blog and the wood floor version of this :) It's funny that you tried that. I really like what you've done so far with this Sci-Fi room. That's a very good basis. With props, textures and a nice view on the outside space (with stars and gas clouds), you'll be on a winner.

Just a thought: I see keyboards. Don't you think computer interfaces should be tactile in such an environment? Or maybe keyboards are more reliable in a command center?

Thanks! That's great to here, i'm thinking of putting in something like a moonscape over the next few days :D And yeah, I think you're right, I've been toying with the idea of putting in more holographic/touch screen controls and stuff, but for the moment the keyboards are ok as placeholders.