Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Berthier Carbine with Russian PE Scope

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatJS polycounter lvl 9
Long time no post, Polycount!

With my contract deadline coming up, I decided it was time to finish up a pile of WIPs I've been sitting on, so here's the first of many: a Berthier Mle 1916 carbine with a Russian PE scope attached. Not a strictly historically accurate combination, but I really liked the silhouette it made, and anyways a competent machinist could totally have made a custom mount :P

Anyways, here's a pile of images and a turnaround:

Berthier_Screenshot_01.jpg
Berthier_Screenshot_02.jpg
Berthier_Screenshot_03.jpg
Berthier_Screenshot_04.jpg
Berthier_Screenshot_05.jpg
Berthier_Screenshot_07.jpg
Berthier_Screenshot_06.jpg

Here's a turnaround vid, it's all grody in the embedded player but if you click through you can see it in 1080p60:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrRW0dDJtNs[/ame]

All renders were done in Marmoset 2, and the vital stats are:

Scope: 5772 Tris
Rifle: 11,814 Tris

The rifle includes the body, the bolt, a single 8mm Lebel bullet, some funky magazine springs, and an en-bloc clip. You can juuuust see those last two in the last image, with the bolt removed.

---

PS the video has significantly cruddier contrast than the images I took, but it looked fine before I uploaded it to youtube. I threw it up on vimeo too, and it looked just as bad. Does anybody have any tips to get better quality?

I just grabbed fraps vid of marmoset, ran it through handbrake (h264, 14 quality) and chucked it on youtube, but if there's a better way, please let me know!

Replies