Home Technical Talk

Separate parts for skinning

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, i'm having a problem with making a game res model for production. Is it a problem for skinning if some parts of the models are not attached with vertices? Lets say, the head is separated and cover by some cloth, or the arm is a separate mesh and isn't weld to the chest.

I'm really clear about making different parts for a model is totally fine but the problem comes with body parts...not sure if the rigger will have any problems when doing the skinning if the arm isn't attached to the chest, or the head to the chest.

This is the model so you can have an idea of what i am talking about:

b02fbeba20.jpg

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    For models like this i usally merge all the needed geometries for the enveloping process or use a simple basemesh. After that the weights get transfered with gator to the real mesh. The viewport looks like 3dsmax so you can use the skinwrap to transfer the weights.
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    The importer of many engines (UE4) usually do a great job merging the skinned meshes.
    Separated skinned meshes are only problematic, where you could get visible seams while deforming the geometry (naked skin). The benefit of keeping them separated is an easier workflow during weightpainting (having less influences in the list, easier to isolate the painted mesh and bones).
    Having a workflow with a properly weighted basemesh, and copying the weights, as .Wiki suggests is highly recommended. In Maya thats super easy.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your answers!

We are actually using Maya, i'm not the guy in charge of the skinning process but i need to handle this base mesh the best i can to start prototyping. We were planning to use the merged mesh and have a single skin for it, my concern was if the vertices need to be welded, like the arm or the head to the chest.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    They do not need to be welded. But give the rigger a heads up So he can plan accordingly.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks monster! Will do :)