Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Video Game Comic: The Next Gen Platformer

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
Background: If you know me, I've posted a lot of different projects in the 3D section. Many that have not materialized.

I realize my problem comes from trying to marry all my 3D threads with original stories. It's something I can't help. It wasn't till last week I learned I needed to get away from all that and make 3D art that is mainstream instead.

It's going to take some time to make 3D art, so I feel like I have low morale. Stories are still important to me and it's what motivated me to stay connected to Polycount and always attempt modeling (even if it didn't work out).

I figure there's no danger in putting all my storytelling into 2D right now. Because it's not the main thing I'm looking to get a professional job with, it's strictly going to be seen as a hobby right now.

=============================================
The Next Gen Platformer

It's the year 2025. While there have been technological advances, much of life still remains similar, as it was 10 years ago. Unemployment is still high, countries still go to war with other over stupid reasons, new leaders are elected to power offering "promises". Enter, Malie Madison. An 18 year old Hawaiian woman who has to work paycheck to paycheck just to make ends meet. She looks after her 10 year old sister, as their parents have passed away. They moved to Hoovertown, U.S.A in search of better life. Upon returning to her apartment one day, something catastrophic takes place.
I'll update the OP later with better infographics.
Worlds

World 1 - New Toronto
Stages: Highway, Downtown Toronto, Brampton Urban, Brampton Tower

World 2 - South America
Stages: Riverbanks, Rainforest, Riverbanks II, Rainforest II

World 3 - Desert Zone
Stages: The Desert, The Bazaar, The Desert II, Military Base

World 4: - Neo Asia
Stages: Tokyo City, The Temple, Mountains, Tokyo City II

World 5: Weesly's Hideout
Stage: Entering the Base, In the Courtyard, The Fortress, Final Stage
Heroes:

Malie Madison
Height: 6 foot 0.5 inches
Weight: 135 pounds
Born: Pearl Harbor, U.S.A
Bio: Once an ordinary cashier clerk, the destruction of her city has lead her to change jobs. She learns who the culprit is and vows to take action
Specialty: Assault rifle, SMG, Shotguns.

Keena Madison
Height: 4 Feet 9 inches
Weight: 105 pounds
Born: Pearl Harbor, U.S.A
Bio: Mali's younger sister. She was originally kidnapped during the invasion of her city. She manages to flee her captors and reunite with her sister to fight evil.
Specialty: Axes

Villains

Caroline
Height: 2 Feet 8 inches
Weight: 50 lbs
Born: Brampton, Canada
Caroline is a young girl and the Prime Minister of Canada. Despite her young age, she is extremely successful and intelligent. At the same time, she comes off as manipulative and arrogant. She is the first Boss encountered by Malie and Keena.

Robert Lewis “Weesly”
Height: 5 feet 5 inches
Weight: 180 lbs
Bio: The bad guy. He is the mastermind behind the global invasion of earth. It is unknown what he is after....
Note, these aren't all the characters. More will come as the story progresses.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Despite having more free reign with this (because this is not portfolio work), I'm going to adopt an existing artstyle.

I want the comic to look cartoony. I'm a fan of Looney Tunes stuff, especially when it comes to Chuck Jones stuff.
    9AbPNgc.jpg
    LbgcmjT.jpg
    ctk5Z4j.jpg
    Jg1kbjb.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    focus.
    Try finishing that barrel first, you need that one and its not too far.

Also you dont want to do a platformer, you want to do 3d models. Those shots look great, but will offer nearly 0 modeling and texturing experience. Also you certainly dont want to do a working game for your goal. You can also make a interesting story with a nice arrangement around a barrel, something that actually brings you forward.
    Storytelling is maybe fun, but thats your free time. Use your work time for modeling and try not getting distracted
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Shrike wrote: »
    Those shots look great, but will offer nearly 0 modeling and texturing experience

i'd like to understand why you think so
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    most forms are very simple or plain rectangles and they use flat color

Well Jordan you can obviously do what you please, but starting a new subject every other day while leaving the others hanging will not grant you the results you want, you had so many good suggestions in the other thread, and this is the exact opposite of those
    if i recall correctly
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    I agree the texturing wouldn't be that great but the forms are pretty interesting. They have a lot of gesture to them. But yeah, you could argue that's just the distortion of the perspective.

I dunno, I like to imagine it takes skill to make a plain rectangle interesting.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Sorry for not getting back. This has nothing to do with 3D modeling. It's literally a 2D comic I want to do in my free time.

I guess the "video game" part sounds deceiving at first. It's suppose to be a comic that unfolds like a video game (so think of boss battles, powerups, character development etc).

I wish I could post examples to better help understand this but right now, all I have is tons and tons of line art.

I will also post new progress on the Oil Barrel very soon.

QmcKSkU.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    most forms are very simple or plain rectangles and they use flat color

Well Jordan you can obviously do what you please, but starting a new subject every other day while leaving the others hanging will not grant you the results you want, you had so many good suggestions in the other thread, and this is the exact opposite of those
    if i recall correctly

well if its so easy and not demanding, why are there so few 3d games that look like this?
    Because it is the exact opposite, pretty tough to do right and look good in 3d.

If you can pull it off, i guarantee you learned a hell lot for modelling and texturing/shading

just a reply to this post by shrike, as this thread is about a 2d comic it doesn't add much to it -.-
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    JordanN wrote: »
    It's literally a 2D comic I want to do in my free time.
    Every second of your free time should be put in 3D atm. You life should be sleep, eat, work 3D, take a break from screen, nothing else. That's how you get better as a student, by spending every second of your "free time" working on your portfolio.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Was at a job fair yesterday and one guy noticed my drawings. I was surprised.

Meanwhile, I'm looking to pick up 2 books to help me.

rpoKr3B.jpg
    pLwFMOj.jpg

There are so many other cool books out there I want to own but they're out of my price bracket! :poly122:

It's now a goal of mine to purchase them when I have a job!!!!!!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow wrote: »
    Every second of your free time should be put in 3D atm. You life should be sleep, eat, work 3D, take a break from screen, nothing else. That's how you get better as a student, by spending every second of your "free time" working on your portfolio.

bullshit

eat, sleep, do art

okay

but why limit it to 3d? if you can support your 3d with concepting that is worth a lot, if you can support your models with painted textures (which will always be better from someone who can paint, which i can not), then those skills are putting you above the normal 3d grunt modellers...
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    If anyone is still watching this, I made some new sketches.

Here's the first character and boss, Caroline. Colored using Prisma pencil crayons and outlined with a black sharpie.

Trying to create a cartoon character is actually pretty hard, because it's constantly a war with creating proportions that are still stylized but doesn't feel anatomically strange.

L3Ouv7g.jpg

Fun fact: She originally had a pink dress but I later changed it to blue. I felt pink was too cliche.

Something I did with black marker. I wanted to try and do contrast with only black and white. This will come handy since I'm not sure if I can color everything.

RwWjjoi.jpg

Lastly, just a quick paint sketch of a Canada flag. I had some Acrylic paints sitting in my room for more than a year and never used them till now.
    KUUtCBX.jpg

When it comes to the actual comic part, I'm going to take the drawings into photoshop and go over them digitally. So I'm not too worried about going super perfect on some of the drawings right now.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Ahhhhh yes, my books have finally arrived!

Even though this is the latest post, I have always been drawing everyday for the past 2 weeks. It's a tremendous effort creating new characters and stylizing environments, while having to deal with other things in my life (i.e applying for jobs and attending job interviews). Hopefully, I can post some finished digital artwork this week.

X245nZa.jpg

I'm also very impressed by the condition the books came in. The Noble Approach is still brand new and The Animating Looney Tunes Way only has some scuffed edges. All else is very fine with them. Both books are from around 2000.