Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brampton Bus. Next gen AAA prop for my portfolio.

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
I've realized the error of my ways and have decided to put on hold those many many environment projects I use to work on. I spoke with Bardler, and I now have a clearer idea of what I should really have ready to present to future employers.

I've decided on a single prop that is a Bus. I tried doing one exactly last year that didn't get far.

But today, I believe I can dramatically improve on it.

WebohGB.jpg
uJocFiJ.jpg

Also, more proof that I'm serious about this, I wont use my own artstyle like I did in past threads. This Bus will 100% match the same artstyle already used in the game industry.

BbZTkbp.jpg
3bVy3Nh.jpg
0rh70a8.jpg

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I am not sure what you are meaning by "This Bus will 100% match the same artstyle already used in the game industry.".

Do you mean that you will be going for a more realistic art style because that would make sense with the images you linked. Or are you suggesting that all games in the industry have the same artstyle?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Robeomega wrote: »
    I am not sure what you are meaning by "This Bus will 100% match the same artstyle already used in the game industry.".

Do you mean that you will be going for a more realistic art style because that would make sense with the images you linked. Or are you suggesting that all games in the industry have the same artstyle?

Realistic.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Hi OP you are a lot like me so my advice is this, please open the weekly hard surface challenge thread, open monthly noob thread and do them.

On critique, I feel like you should give up 3D art or have a serious look at what you are doing. You should only be doing weekly hard surface challenges or monthly noob threads.

Lets look at your work.

7909340_orig.jpg

This is work in progress, but you are worse than me to be honest. This should only take about 20 minutes to do(assuming you are drunk at the time). The pouring part of the teapot is not even attached to the model. Its all sort of depressing to look at. For example if you did the weekly hard surface challenge, you could have had something like this concept in your portfolio.

tumblr_n6ct5buqwT1ric9alo1_1280.jpg

Which, is about 20 weeks in. But, still 6 months is not a long time. But, I guess doing crappy models and doing the challenges is beyond you and instead you waste your time making posts like these http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150816.

Even, week 6 is beyond most of the work you posted
    bNv3MzS.jpg

Do you really enjoy 3D art? Be honest OP. If you enjoyed it, then you could go through all the shitty models

From this
    BintzXa.jpg
    to this
    IWTIADE.jpg
    to this
    8L8yJBC.jpg
    repeat about 47 times to get to this
    5dNYQCw.jpg

Instead you seem to want to start from here

BbZTkbp.jpg
    This is not a concept of a bus, this is way advanced for your current work. This is way above the level of a beginner or someone posting in a monthly noob thread. Why you even looking at this in the first place, your skill level is way below this.

mWxF6MK.jpg
    This is your current skill level. Why you not improving upon your crappy modelling skills. Why even dream of doing Order 1886 work. There is not even bump mapping in any of your work, how can you claim to be able to do PBR?

You have to be honest with yourself. There is no way your going to get close to your concept art you posted. You could be spending your time improving instead with any of the challenges posted on here. For example, there is no proof you know how to do PBR or even normal maps, I personally think you don't.

I was just like you in terms of game programming instead of making stuff like Pac man or improving upon rubbish games I tried to cheat and the only thing that happen is I wasted two years of my life. If I truly liked game programming I could have made crappy games and built upon that.

I think you could become a great artist in the future, but you have to break out of your insanity. You been here more than a year and your portfolio is still crap. I would think you are a troll, but seeing your post is like looking in a mirror a few months ago, which is so depressing.

P.S. Insanity is a weird thing, you can think everyone else is wrong and that your always just close to breakthrough. Even people saying you are wrong just hardens your position and you feel more right. But, then you have to look at reality, which in your case is a year on polycount and no improvement.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    The Scary School was never AAA. I even said in the thread it was originally suppose to be a mobile assignment.

You're also misinterpreting what I meant by posting a picture of The Order. I never said I was going make that entire thing. It's suppose to serve as a reference after people disliked seeing art that couldn't be used in the game industry.

I'm not a troll. I don't hate 3D. I do think I learn at a different pace but I've always sought to correct this weakness by posting on Polycount.

This is how I went from making the school (and closing it) to making something like this thread. I don't think an irrational person would ever consider this.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    pangaea wrote: »
    On critique, I feel like you should give up 3D art or have a serious look at what you are doing. You should only be doing weekly hard surface challenges or monthly noob threads.

Which, is about 20 weeks in. But, still 6 months is not a long time. But, I guess doing crappy models and doing the challenges is beyond you and instead you waste your time making posts like these

Do you really enjoy 3D art? Be honest OP. If you enjoyed it, then you could go through all the shitty models

Why you even looking at this in the first place, your skill level is way below this.

This is your current skill level. Why you not improving upon your crappy modelling skills. Why even dream of doing Order 1886 work.

You have to be honest with yourself. There is no way your going to get close to your concept art you posted.

Who the fuck says that kind of shit. Especially this one: "I feel like you should give up 3D art."

What you wrote wasn't helpful at all, it was just you being an asshole.
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    Imagine you've decided to start going to the gym, and you're maybe a little scrawny. You get in and instead of starting with smaller weights, you get excited and go straight to the heavy weights -- because it's badass, right? It is badass, Vin Diesel etc etc... But it's too heavy. You try and try for a few hours until people around you start getting critical. Anyone worth knowing will not put you down for trying to get stronger, but they will discourage you from hurting yourself.

There is no physical requirement with art. You can try to do something way above your head and it probably won't be great, and you might not realize it. You haven't lifted the lighter weights yet.

Maybe you're at the stage where you can do this bus, but always think of what project will be the best practice. Just keep evaluating where you are, and don't get discouraged.

Just don't be afraid to start smaller, dude, lift the lighter weights :)
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You get some really cruel comments, and the above (looking @ pangaea) is one of those.

Jordan. BARDLER already said more than I really could here, but... Finish something. Just take this asset and finish it. Actually show your progress on it in small, doable steps. As much as "today I added x to the high poly" is fine! You seem to want to jump to having finished this whole huge step (eg, I'll have the high poly done by today) but that's not helpful to you! It's better to break it down into small steps that are easy to accomplish and give you time and space to polish the assets, and post those, and get feedback on those little things. It's easier to have someone mention that the chassis for your bus is a little off, than have someone tell you everything about what you've done so far is poorly executed or wrong and that you should restart.

imo you should treat the bus as an environment, and the pieces of it as props. Make sure you do each of them up to par, separately. High poly, low poly, bakes. A bus is big, making it up to current gen quality will be difficult. But again, easier when you can break it down into achievable steps.

Focus on that. Actually get it done, so that when you're done, you can learn and improve from the process. I see a lot of your projects getting cut off mid-way and I feel that you don't really get a chance to digest what you should have learned from them.

And do really have a think about what it is you want to do in this industry. Why you want to do that-- and not about what's realistic or what job's the easiest or makes the most money. What do you dream of doing, and why? Do you want to make games? Because being an environment artist will probably not get you there, honestly. Do you really find all your joy in making environments?

Hoping to see your progress.

Edit:
    Also
    Snafubar7 wrote: »
    [Removed: awesome quote]
    Just start smaller, dude, lift the lighter weights :)
    +1 to all of this. Smart as.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN wrote: »
    I've realized the error of my ways and have decided to put on hold those many many environment projects I use to work on. I spoke with Bardler, and I now have a clearer idea of what I should really have ready to present to future employers.

I've decided on a single prop that is a Bus.

Ignore that Pangaea dude.

I would go even smaller to be honest man. A vehicle is a tedious amount of modeling work.

Run around a game you like and find a little prop laying on the ground. Fire Hydrant, pirates chest, park bench, mail box, a chair, ect. Something that will just let you drill down the details, nothing else. You are almost there with your scope, but keep going smaller :)

Edit, or like someone else mentioned, break the bus into parts. Just make the bus seat or tire or something first, and complete it in chunks at a time.

Above all else you are improving though! You realized your problems and you are trying to correct them, so great job on that!
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Scary School was never AAA. I even said in the thread it was originally suppose to be a mobile assignment.

That just sounds like an excuse to be honest.
    You're also misinterpreting what I meant by posting a picture of The Order. I never said I was going make that entire thing. It's suppose to serve as a reference after people disliked seeing art that couldn't be used in the game industry.

Why post Order 1886 stuff. Are you trying to say you can produce something like that so your using it as a reference. You also use a complex rifle as a reference. Can you even make a simple gun?
    This is how I went from making the school (and closing it) to making something like this thread. I don't think an irrational person would ever consider this.

You was also told to model one concept from a picture, but you aren't doing that. You was also told to do monthly noob thread and ages ago was told to weekly hard surface challenge, but you aren't doing them.

Now you are going back to an old concept trying to model a bus, which you failed at last time.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
    BARDLER wrote:
    Who the fuck says that kind of shit. Especially this one: "I feel like you should give up 3D art."

What you wrote wasn't helpful at all, it was just you being an asshole.

It's the truth. You have to look at objective facts. He made a new thread said he is going to do a project that didn't work out in the first time(but I guess this time will be different), showed several very complex references and then says he is going to do a realistic style.

If he had posted say this
    300410___monster_bus_w20_by_600v.jpg
    And said I'm going to model this bus. Then, I would be happy.

But, no he has crazy references. Also, looking at his post. He said I'm not going to use my own art style. He has no art style to begin with.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then, I would be happy.

Good thing that doesn't matter for Jordan trying to improve and the people helping him.

Seriously dude, you are just being an ass. Also looking through your post history I don't think you are exactly qualified to dish out what you are saying.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    JordanN, good luck with it. I think a lot of artists suffer the same issue about getting bored with what they're working on and then jumping on to something else. I'll be honest, it has happened to me as well.

The way pangea explained himself I'd say is not the correct way to do it, but there are some hints there that are true indeed. If I were you, I would first try to get some basics done like hard surface modeling and texturing game-ready assets. You don't need to do a whole bus first, as that can be overwhelming. You could start with small objects so you don't end up giving up, learn the tricks and then apply it to larger objects.

Or you could take the bus and decide to start working on just smaller props within that bus, and eventually have the whole thing finished.

But really, good luck with it and props to you for trying to improve. Just try to stick to the same thing as much as possible. It might get boring or frustrating after spending many hours on it, but once you finish it's going to feel great :)
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    BARDLER wrote: »
    I would go even smaller to be honest man. A vehicle is a tedious amount of modeling work.
    Yeah, not only modeling, but then unwrapping, doing the UV layout, then baking, then making masks and texturing ... it's months of work and planning. Some studios might not even assign a single artist on this bus, but several. Breaking it down in individual assets is the best idea JordanN, if you want to see this finished. Just start with a seat for example, with bakes and textures and go from there.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I'm just wondering, if I settle for smaller props, will it hurt my chances for finding employment?

This is why I was hesitant to post stuff like the seats/wheels/ before the Bus was done.

It's bad enough I don't have anymore environments, would a portfolio that focuses on props be judged harsher?
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    A portfolio focused on props is fine! But, a portfolio focused on just WIPs is not fine. You just need to actually start finishing some assets, no matter how small. :)

Once you finish some cool props, you can make an environment with them.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JordanN

Do you have a full time job or part time job?

It's clear from your post a few months ago you was struggling with getting a job even at mac donalds. I don't know if this has changed now.

But, you are just adding a ton of stress if you just focus on getting a 3D art job. You should be looking to take any job even if it something like cold calling people.

P.S. Even with a non 3D job that is stressful you can still fit in 3-4 hours a day of 3D art.

If you do quick maths if you put 4 hours a day, then in 5 years time you would have put in 7,300 hours. That is not that far from 10,000 hours you need to master something.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    @Pangaea, some of your points are valid, there's no denying it. However, there is no need to deliver it in such a kick to the balls fashion. Sure perhaps @JordanN is a bit overenthusiastic about what he wants to create, but heck who wasn't when they started (I know I am)!

You need to learn to speak to people properly, encourage and guide, not berate and put down. That is not the way to help out someone getting into the industry. More like to scare him away and you sure as hell have no right to do that.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just wondering, if I settle for smaller props, will it hurt my chances for finding employment?

This is why I was hesitant to post stuff like the seats/wheels/ before the Bus was done.

It's bad enough I don't have anymore environments, would a portfolio that focuses on props be judged harsher?

No. Most jr level art positions are exactly that. You support higher level artists with low level tasks, prop modeling, polish, optimization, ect. Your portfolio will be judged on quality and execution of each piece, and a few super awesome environment props will do way more for you than 1 or 2 not so good environments. I got hired as a JR environment artist without any environments in my portfolio. I just focused on making good props, textures, and small stuff.

It is not just about improving your portfolio either, it is also about learning the process and workflow. Every completed project, no matter how small, will make you a better artist. Building some kick ass small props will get you more comfortable with making some kick ass big props. Then that will get you more comfortable with building small environments. Then that will get you more comfortable with building big environments.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JordanN

It's clear from your post a few months ago you was struggling with getting a job even at mac donalds. I don't know if this has changed now.

But, you are just adding a ton of stress if you just focus on getting a 3D art job. You should be looking to take any job even if it something like cold calling people.

P.S. Even with a non 3D job that is stressful you can still fit in 3-4 hours a day of 3D art.

If you do quick maths if you put 4 hours a day, then in 5 years time you would have put in 7,300 hours. That is not that far from 10,000 hours you need to master something.

Also keep ignoring anything this guy posts, its not worth your time, or effort.
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10

I'd think never finishing anything would hurt your chances more

IT looks like you're aiming for a scope much too high to be reasonably completed in a 'satisfactory' manner and are puzzled at the inevitable burnout every single time when smaller-scale actual successes are what you really should be aiming for. do you really need to worry about your presentation, specialization, and hireability when you have little to nothing to present, no foundation to specialize from?

IMO you should start with a small prop, get comfortable in a creation workflow and then expand on to other things you should be able to create. and much later tackle complex, large tasks like an environment, a hero piece, et cetera. Find practice joining as a prop artist for a source mod or something - some of them will probably appreciate any help they can get and being tasked with easy-to-consume props will do wonders for learning by necessity.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    @JordanN

Oh man, I laughed so hard

Pangaea stop taking crazy pills

For the smaller props, you can make those really compelling
    I imagined a nice assortment of a barrel, fuel canister, a crate, maybe a hammer lying on top, a trashcan and maybe a old ventilator with a little grass and a woodplank on a nice ground texture , as a nice practical mini diaorama if done well where you could focus on quality
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    People are being overly hard on this chap, and whilst its all technically correct, this whole furore has been such a fucking let down. Across these few threads I've seen respected members acting like tits to look experienced.

He's focusing on the bus. Job done.

It's fucking ridiculous how everyone's going around with their epenises talking about finishing work and project scope. Put them away and just crit his modelling, he got the message about scope about 100 messages and two threads ago.

There's delivering a bit of critique, and then there's jumping on a bandwagon so you look vet. Either critique his modelling or get back to some modelling yourselves. You're dragging it out. All this rabble has done is halt him.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordan sorry for being a dick. I read all your threads(76 in total) and it made me over emotional.

Good luck in the future.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter

Jordan, take some advice from someone who has worked in the industry for 16 years. You don't got the chops. You don't take critique well and your portfolio isn't even worth considering for an internship. Sorry to be harsh, but it's reality.

To have the things you've never had you must do the things you've never done.

That means doing the work. Props, tons of em. Model anything and everything. Texture, hand paint, from photo source, as well as procedural. Heed other's advice, do the challenges, shut your mouth and learn. Don't make excuses, and realize failure sometimes means progress. Like others have said you can't jump to full environment work till you get the basics, start as a prop artist, this in time will lead to whole environments but honestly that is a long......long way out for you. Sorry to come off like an ass, just being honest. If this is a life goal for you, you have to be able to throw away and start again. See you in the challenges.

Good luck.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The advice to hit the monthly/weekly challenge threads is solid. Do that, it will benefit you in a lot of ways. If nothing else, you can nail down normal maps and how to process stuff to get it into a game engine efficiently. After that, start working on more complicated stuff.

I know you want to do the bus. Don't. Smaller props first...
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool

As hard as I've been on you in the past, I think this project was definitely a step in the right direction! Maybe it is a bit ambitious and ideally you would do something smaller but with enough work (~2-3 months) I think you could make something nice and learn a lot in the process.

With that said, it will be a project that you may want to quit on since you will be spending 1/4 of a year working on it. Just make sure that you're going to take it to completion!
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think telling someone to quit is ever a good or productive feedback, regardless of how you personally feel about them.

Jordan, where is your reference? Find an image and follow it exactly, don't just post random images of games that have nothing to do with the asset you're making.

Also, where is the high-poly model? You're skipping some very fundamental steps and jumping to the finish line.

I would start out simpler than this, make something very simple and FINISH IT. Even if it's as simple as something like a Basketball. Make it look good, have all of the details baked in the normal map and don't rush it. Learn how to texture it properly and work your way up. Avoid stuff like this bus till you have a bit more comfort in dealing with more complex assets.

Again, for most assets you're going to need to start off with the high-poly first. Get some Sub-D modeling practice in just so you know how to do it.
  • Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    Pretty much every thread this guy makes he gets shit, I hevent been in the 3D stage for a long time at all. a few months. But if i started out and posted something like this guy i would probably give up and jack off or something. This is getting out of hand. The fuck guys. there's no need to be so got damn rude. The noob and week challenges are a good start man. But you need to get your skills together before move to something like that. Hope goes well.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I remember the exact same advice being given in the bus thread last year, imagine the progress you might have had if you started then on the weekly challenges thread, or doing smaller props and finishing them.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    OP, please don't give up. I totally understand that 3d Art can be super intimidating and disorienting. Especially if you aren't used to learning on your own and there's no mentor who could guide you in the right direction. What you do right now is you make mistakes, and that's great! Mistakes are awesome, but only if you learn from them. I assure you, making mistakes is all you are going to do for the rest of your career, so learn to deal with them :)

Some people can be dicks to noobies like you, especially other artists who just started out and think they are hot stuff after following a few cool tutorials. I would advice you to bond with other artists who could help you out with critiques and advice in the time of need. It's a daunting, frustrating and a bit depressing path you're following. Be active on here, be friendly, be able to receive critique and thank people for their time. Most of all, be honest to yourself.

Don't just jump higher than mountains, take a step back and assess your current situation. Realise that you are quite confused about what you're supposed to be doing and what to learn. My suggestion would be to stick with making hard surface props for a time being, until you're comfortable with the whole process off Highpoly>Lowpoly>UV>Baking>Texturing. Find tutorials on Digitaltutors.com, Gnomon.com, 3dmotive.com or Youtube about "next gen" asset production. Watch everything you can find and learn, absorb knowledge like a sponge. When in doubt - search the forums, there's probably an answer to any question somewhere, you just have to find it.

I'd like to say that you're surely going to be the best artist ever, OP. But the truth is - I don't know. I have no idea who you are. Your future is in your hands. If you have patience, resolve and passion then you have a chance.

TL;DR: Don't worry, be hippy. Get good.