Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first speed painting

Hi everybody,

I'm student in Video Game Art and I want present my first speed painting.

I hope that it please you, and wait yours critics.

356184Dmon.png

Replies

• Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    welcome to polycount :)

I'm going to be brutally honest, this needs a lot of work. Your values, anatomy, line work, etc.

While no one will ever be able to master all the fundamentals and it is a continuous journey. This image does not give me the impression that you have practiced or studied enough of the fundamentals to warrant speed painting.

I personally consider speed painting a treat, something you do to relax or spit out quickly to try out something. And while they are fun to do nothing will help you get better than studying what you are trying to achieve.

My suggestion is to start studying the fundamentals. A good resource would be "Successful drawing - by Andrew Loomis"
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Get on this facebook group if you want speed painting practice.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1402563099961950/
    They have daily topics and you have 30mins on each paint you do.

As for your painting, it needs a lot of work.
    I'd suggest Bridgemans anatomy book wise. A good online resource would be Posemainacs

Keep practising, keep working and you'll get there.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Selkilas,

Welcome to Polycount! As others have stated your speedpaint is pretty rough, and studying the fundamentals will make a world of difference! I'd recommend learning some solid drawing fundamentals, and if you still want to paint I think something a bit smaller scope would be a better start.

Matt Kohr over at http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ has a lot of useful stuff over there for digitally painting! Definitely head over and check it out. If you practice your drawing and painting you'll be able to pump out speed paintings for sure!
  • TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TravisBolek polycounter lvl 16
    You're off to a good start. I echo everyone else's critique in studying anatomy; it's always an on going process but it's a lot of fun to do.

Your values could use some work too. Don't be afraid to push the dark and the light. I used to be timid with my values but I've gotten better by practicing.