Home Technical Talk

2.5D Snap in Maya?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
Hi Guys,

apologies if it is a simple question, but I am learning Maya and I cannot find a way to reproduce this feature from 3ds Max with the standard tools.

Is there anything similar to 3ds Max 2.5D snap mode in Maya? I can find the standard snaps in the main UI, but they behave like the 3D snap mode. When I am in an orthographic view, I would like to be able to snap the moving vertices to other meshes, but without having them shift along the camera axis.

Thank you for any help

- Enrico

Replies

• Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Havent used 3DS max much so not exactly sure how 2.5D snap works, but try this.

Hold D and V + middle click into area where you want your selection pivot to be at ( snapping to vert in this case) and then by holding V + middle click into an area where you want your selection to be moved to.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Gheromo,

thanks for the quick reply. I am not sure to understand what I should get with this combo. I think I wasn't very clear in my first post, I am speaking about polygonal modelling, and I am moving vertices around.

If I press D to adjust the pivot and V to enable the snap to vertices, it doesn't snap to meshes different from the one I am editing at component level.

In any case, even after adjusting the pivot, the vertices still snap to the target object and move along the axis of the orthographic camera.

Am I missing something?
    Thanks

- Enrico
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I don't think you can, even though it kinda tells you you selected two axes for snapping, everything still snap on all three, I think we just have to live with snapping first on X then on Y. :(
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi huffer,

I see what you mean, I didn't realize the snap works as I expected by dragging just a single axis of the selection pivot. As you said, to align a vertex to another, requires two operations, but it is better than nothing.

From my first impressions, Maya has improved a lot in the polygonal modelling area, in particular after the integration of NEX, but I see there is still room for a lot of custom tools (and it's where the fun starts ;)

Thanks!

- Enrico