Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"That Dragon, Cancer" Statue

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
I want to make a statue for That Dragon, Cancer as fan art.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3k6FViYKtY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3k6FViYKtY[/ame]

I'm going to try to keep this succinct.

I want to ask any Polycounters out there to help me with this, since I don't have the proper bearings for how I can express visually what the game is about.

I don't know what it means to be a parent. I don't have experential knowledge on that, so I am very open to understanding and listening to what ya'll parents have to say.

This will require some vulnerability, but I trust you guys.

// What I want to express

Trying to figure out how to smash both "hope, what is means to 'love Joel'" and "suffering" into one visual cohesive statue.

Most of my initial sketches of what I think the statue generally looks like is more expressive of a parent trying his best to assuage the suffering of his child. Nothing that's obvously hopeful. I want to stray away from that, but the emotion is clear from those gesture poses.

To me, I keep expressing the "dragon" as this black substance dragging the kid away, almost like a tar that can't be cleaned up. An ever present thorn in the side. That's all I immediately thought of as an effective means of keeping it amorphous, but visually clear.

What do you guys think is working? What suggestions do ya'll have? Any critiques?

VLNL9Im.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to say specifically about 6 and 7 is that those were my attempts to figure out if there's a way to make this seem hopeful.

Going to try to knock out more sketches. These are a little too preliminary.

Looking into emotional Renaissance statues for reference.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Since you already mentioned Renaissance statues, I assume you have already looked at the Pieta. You should if you haven't.

I saw that note you wrote about oil trails and the dragging/tugging you wanted to portray, and I thought that it would be interesting if you would consider including Futurist influences to portray it. Look at 'Unique Forms of Continuity in Space' by Umberto Boccioni. Futurist sculptures in a nutshell aims to visualize force, speed and sound to create dynamism.

Without going into too much detail, the Futurist movement glorifies conflict (hence, their portrayal of invisible clashing forces), war, and embraces death with open arms. Though this contrasts with your portrayal of a mellow scene, in irony it represents how we often describe a cancer patient's experience as an ongoing battle, fight and war.

I recommend you look into it even if you decide not to use it. Personally I find the black gooey substance is too literal of an interpretation for cancer. Keeping to forms is most likely your best bet for statues and Futurist sculptures is one pathway that you can explore to represent it.

Obviously I'm a big Futurist fan here :D These are just some points I thought I should mention. I'm keen to see how this turns out!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tom: Haven't looked int your references yet, will do today.

More sketches before I slept last night

QDgkanb.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tom: Looking at the "'Unique Forms of Continuity in Space" sculpture, my perception of it could be described as "What if waves projected physical mass as it hits a person?" Do you think that's a fair description of describing the physical volume of the piece?
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    @Tom: Looking at the "'Unique Forms of Continuity in Space" sculpture, my perception of it could be described as "What if waves projected physical mass as it hits a person?" Do you think that's a fair description of describing the physical volume of the piece?

Yeah. Its an abstract expression of unseen forces like sound and speed. All the molecules clashing etc. If you've seen videos of motion sculptures (e.g a dancer leaves abstract trails as she dances, eventually creating a sculpture), you can trace its roots to works like 'Unique Forms of Continuity in Space'.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew up a new idea. @TomGT: Feeling really inspired by the Futurist work you mentioned.

KCeDgaq.jpg