Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Hallway

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
reckzilla polycounter lvl 8
Hey all!!! Finished this today and I figured it would be a good time for me to do my first polycount.

This is the concept art:

sci_fi_hallway_concept.png

Here goes my works!!
scifiallway_ol_1.png

scifiallway_ol_2.png

scifiallway_cl_1.png

scifiallway_cl_2.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hVzTjNwkXpw/VRSkMzNJOQI/AAAAAAAACpE/3jfae0rv5NY/s1600/scifiallway_cl_1_comp.png

scifiallway_cl_1_comp.png

Replies

• reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna throw these up too.
    scifi_hallway_propc.png
    scifi_hallway_prop.png
    scifi_hallway_propb.png
    scifi_hallway_propd.png
  • Thaiauxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaiauxn polycounter lvl 7
    This is an excellent first polycount thread! Is this for a game, a portfolio piece, or just for fun?
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, this is for my portfolio. Trying to get a pretty AAA gig.
  • e_turn95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_turn95 polycounter lvl 7
    That looks awesome. I don't really have much crit to offer to be honest, but one thing that really stood out to me is the "H5" written on the door. It seems completely out of place and doesn't look like it's been made part of the door material, as if you've just stuck some text on a new layer on Photoshop, especially since the door it's on is so worn looking. The font looks quite bad and I think the style in the concept would look much better. I'm sure it's an easy fix anyway, and if you're looking to make something AAA quality that kind of detail might make the difference between good and great work.
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    This really looks great. My only crit would be that the door is very boring looking. It's the focal point of this piece and it's just flat metal. I think it would be much more impressive if you deviate from the concept and make something that stands out.
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,I'll work on the door for sure.
  • Filcomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filcomet polycounter lvl 11
    Great work! are you gonna use it somewhere?
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Filcomet right now it's just a scene in marmoset. But there's a chance I'll move it UE4 for some uodates.
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screenshot002.png

Here it goes. got some free time to update the door a smidge. Messed with the text and made it more interesting.
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I my sci fi hallway managed to get on the Marmoset toolbag gallery for environments!!! Friggin Awesome!!!!

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/gallery
  • mhofever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mhofever polycounter lvl 9
    I like the lighting choice you went with, the floor lights really bring out the quality of the flooring and the roughness of the material. I'm assuming you're working with PBR for that.
  • CrazyMan09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job. Looks great. How did you go about the texturing?
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool a couple texturing questions. I started with designing the highpoly then bake the info down, with the texturing I used photoshop and I broke it down into three sections the dark brown, silver, and when applicable the yellow tubing. I spent a few weeks doing several different texturing approaches until I found the one I liked the most then I used the workflow from the one I liked the most on every single piece:
    Albedo
    Choose the color for the area then took a photo and overlayed it and lowered it's opacity. I had an image that was unique to each color that I used on every piece. After that I'd add the dripping decal, paint areas where dirt would be or at least the surface was less reflective then I use an image that had some really cool small scratches edit it and then soft light it over the top of the two metal colors (I may go back over them and make them more realistic rather than stylized) that would be my albedo.

Specular
    Just flat colors to define how reflective I want each surface, I delete the image overlays for this part except for the small scratches.

Gloss
    This is where you go crazy trying to the surface to have some character. I like to think of gloss as being how much the surface reflects. So like the spec says "does this reflect? Yes? No?" then the gloss defines that reflectivity whether the reflection will be sharper or blurrier and I decided I wanted a weird splotchy thing like the surface had different degrees of objects scrubbed across the surface so the sheen had been removed.

Normal was just the bake, the scratches, and some image noise.

As for the crazy ass lighting I used marmosets secondary reflections on the materials to get that really over the top light effects. Marmoset also has some awesome camera effects that I also played with like contrast and bloom to help get that intense lighting and shand shadow contrast.
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey!
    Great work. I like the overall feeling of this piece.
    Maybe the ceiling lacks details at this time. It's a bit flat, especially the lights.

And at least one of the texture feels a bit noisy, like you have generated a cloudy layer from Photoshop, I don't know. I'm sorry if it's not clear, it's just that I feel the presence of a repetitive pattern on some parts and it's not very consistent with the other surfaces. But it's only visible on your last posted shot...

I hope this work will help get you a job in the industry!
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DanielR17 You are right, I do have a tendency use a lot of repetitious textures. It's a bad habit I'm learning to break. Thanks for the feedback. I hope it does applied at EA and managed to get two phase two of review so I hope for the best.