Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AK-74, wooden accessories and plastic clip

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
Old version of AK-74 from early 80s.
19K tris, 2 x 4096 texture sets (PBR-metalness)
Maya, Substance Designer, Substance Painter.
tz7lKoh.jpg
fYyGhiY.jpg
jN69RA0.jpg
fds607D.jpg
U7NzFqt.jpg

S69GdMU.jpg

Replies

• devonmousseau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devonmousseau polycounter lvl 4
    One critique I have would be that the clip looks like wood. Also, plastic mags are pretty uncommon in the Kalashnikov family. (And are really really shitty, for lack of a better description). A few more things, the stock looks rather short, but it could be because the divot is a lot shorter than that of a real 74. And lastly, the receiver looks a bit short from top to bottom.

Keep at it, its looking really good at this point!
  • OFPismySOP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OFPismySOP polycounter lvl 6
    Nice job on the magazine! You really nailed the bakelite texture. The top render is damn near photo-realistic.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    I think you could stand to add a lot more wear and tear on the model overall.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Nailed it. I think you have the perfect amount of wear and tear personally. Not trying to be a dick ^, just a little overwhelmed sometimes when people use wear as a crutch to define shapes on a surface. I think in this case, with how clean the bakes are, let the normals and PBR do the work :)

Just IMO. Really nice piece. No critique from me!
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work.
    I'd suggest adding a little bit for surface detail on the wood. As it stands, it looks way to uniform IMO.
    It's abit too clean to my taste.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    The Receiver has some weird noise bump over it..
    Those are usually flat. its the same Material as the Receiver Cover.
    Both are stamped.

The Metalblock, that holds the sight is milled. You might want to take that into account.

Other than that, nice!
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks guys
    devonmousseau
    As i understand, plastic clips was pretty common for early models, and there is a lot of photos with them from soviet Afghanistan campaign.

Rumkugel That's a good point, surface is not 100% flat but I overused that noise.
  • Ingsoc75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ingsoc75 polycounter lvl 5
    One critique I have would be that the clip looks like wood. Also, plastic mags are pretty uncommon in the Kalashnikov family. (And are really really shitty, for lack of a better description). A few more things, the stock looks rather short, but it could be because the divot is a lot shorter than that of a real 74. And lastly, the receiver looks a bit short from top to bottom.

Keep at it, its looking really good at this point!

It's not a clip! It's a magazine!

On the contrary, a metal magazine for AK-74 (5.45mm) family of rifles was/is quite rare.

As for the model itself, the area where the selector lever moves into safe mode, that should be hollow (inside of the stamped receiver).

Other than that looks like an Kalashnikov automatic rifle model 1974.