Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Curly thread :)

curlyhair
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
curlyhair polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys! I'm new here.I hope to hear a honest and harsh critique from you so don't hold back. ^^ I hope to improve my environment skills and my basics overall.
I don't have much time for studies - my baby-son is my main project for now :) but I'm doing studies on daily basis and I work on 3 different game projects. And I also work on my own comic for a looong time. I don't have time, but I'm stubborn ^_-
Here some of my works to introduce myself

245fqmx.jpg

14llrtv.jpg

2vakwmv.jpg

rs7a10.jpg

o9g1fr.jpg

fm2ji0.jpg

Replies

• curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    30 min for each. Learning face values from Hunger Games
    2058itf.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    you work shows some potential! but i think you should do more value studies and learn more about composition.
    It is super hard to focus on something because almost everything screams for attention in all of the images.
    Even the DeNiro one with depth of field has blobs in the background fighting to jump into the foreground
  • curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! You've got a great point there. I'll keep on studying. I've tried working with b/w,then coloring,technique, but it didn't work for me, because I always messed the colors in the end. For me colors are very important. You can call me control freak when it comes to colors. So trying to come to the color I need through layer modes kills my sparkle :) So I guess I'll try to learn tones separately, and then to apply my knowledge when coloring. I also occasionally turn image to black and white to see where I stand, but I guess my eyes aren't trained enough to see the mistakes
  • lutzbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lutzbot polycounter lvl 3
    These are super fun! I second Neox's comment about composition - a simpler value structure would help most of these. I would also focus on the patterns and edges that your paint strokes are making- many of these could be simpler as well. Looking at the image of the boy with the sword standing on the rocks, the distant mountains are painted with the same crispness and sharp interior edges as the rocks in the foreground- this is a missed opportunity to sell the depth and simplify the whole thing a little bit by using a different painting technique. This is happening in the other ones that don't have super depth-of-field blurred backgrounds as well. That said, there's a nice level of finish happening in all of these, and they have a great energetic vibe. Nice work!
  • curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much! I see what you mean. I tend to overwork everything. And those mountains - I worked on them the most because environments are my biggest weakness. I think it's my first time of painting mountains of this scale, so lack of confidence shows :) I know only one way to fix it :D And that's why I'm here. I hope to learn more and improve. I bought myself an awesome tutorial by Tyler Edlyn to learn working on environments from him. Now I have to find time to watch it -_- Thank you again! :D
  • curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm posting all of my studies, so bear with me - cause this is one of the ways of rewarding myself :)
    Gotto try some still-life to learn more about shapes and light
    20kvvvd.jpg
  • curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A weird question.. but what you guys see on my avatar? is it a green smily or I succeeded to put a little cute vampire inside of it? :)
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Still a Greentooth, looks like. Does the image you're trying to use meet the size requirements?
  • curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, I see it in my profile,but not here..
    This morning study :)
    2u9tuvn.jpg
  • hattonslayden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your colors are vibrant and lively and should really look good once you nail down the contrasts. but do not forget your anatomy, i would pay more attention to your proportions and perspective particularly in the face regions and hands
  • curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, colors are really important to me. I've got a lot of things to learn. I'm trying not to get scattered in my studies. For now I'm concentrating on improving my values and my overall painting skills in terms of precision, repainting, perfectionism. I watched some tutorials by some great artists and I paid attention, that I'd finish long before they consider their painting done. Which means if I push myself a little further, I might make a jump :) So painting that was ok for me before, is not qualifies today. I guess it's time for me to grow. I'm planning to do some master studies too, later, when I have time. For now I can allow a hour study a day. It's not much but I'm doing consistently
  • curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimi no todoke study
    2djdixj.png
  • curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very fast concept for secondary character at my comics :) Girly and relaxing ^^
    s5wi9e.png
  • curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Study :) with just too many rocks :p
    2eojeyf.png
  • curlyhair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys! :) I need an advice about lighting - I feel like the lighting on the tree can be more interesting, but I don't really know what to do. I'll be glad to hear your opinion and suggestions :)
    2rqgkmc.jpg