Home General Discussion

GTX 970 Strix - field report?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dethling polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

today my graphic card signed off and I'm looking for a new one.
As I use the PC not only for 3D stuff but also for gaming I'm looking not for an high end render card but a good "normal" graphic card.
I'm able to spent up to 400 € / $ for it.

At the moment I'm thinking about the Asus GTX 970 Strix.
Does anyone has experience with this card, how did it work with common 3D tools (e.g. Max, zbrush, Substance)?
Or maybe someone has another good suggestion for an affordable card. :)

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    There's the whole 3.5GB thing; however, I still believe it is the best price/performance you can currently get. You can always go with AMD; however, I am unsure how stable their drivers are with 3D software. Maybe someone here can chime in who has a 290/290x?
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I've got an MSI 970 and it's great. I haven't tried many games but I haven't come across any that I couldn't run on max settings at 2560x1440.
    Also has great performance in 3d apps, though not many apps are gpu heavy, as far as I know.
    Best performance you can get atm, unless you're willing to spend an obscene amount of money.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I'll second the MSI 970, been running one for a couple months now and its great. The 3.5gb issue would have been nice to know before i bought it, but i'd still have probably gone ahead instead of dropping another $300 for the 980
  • My Fault
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My Fault polycounter lvl 10
    I'll third the MSI 970. The bang for the buck with this card is pretty incredible and the 3.5gb issue isn't really that big of an issue performance wise. It's more the fact they weren't upfront about it, so don't sweat that too much.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    I've got a 980 but from what I understand, the 980 isn't that huge of a leap over the 970.

They're great for 3D work. Handle pretty much everything and play any games at max.