Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted textures

Hi, teaching myself painted textures in photoshop. I started painting couple days ago.
This is my first created textures from scratch on graphics tablet.
Need some critique on my hand painted look and I'm looking to improve my skills .

Thanks! ;)

22VbQr.jpg

2. DXuLtK.jpg

yaS2sS.jpg

eo0TKA.jpg

AT9Eyu.jpg

Replies

• Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I would suggest you posting in the 3D forums, where all the handpainters are. you'll get more C&C :)

For you first texture they are good, but you have the same recurrent flaws.

I think your major issue here is that you follow a certain youtube tutorial (I know i saw that way of doing on a youtube video) who teach you to paint random spot of color and used filter on them after to get the form. At least for the brick and rock it's apparent. It's a good technique when properly use, which is not the case here. two natural rock near each other won't have the same gradient at the same place. also your rocks have way too much small zigzag crack, a rock doesn't break like that. tbh nothing works on your rock texture. there's no volume, your highlight are pure white and random. It's your worst one. this is how a pebble floor looks like
    traditional.jpg

I would suggest you to go back to the basic, drop the youtube tutorial, take real life reference and paint from them. because none of those look like they should. for example your 2 wood tutorial, you preset them as plank, but you paint them like they had round relief, just like a real tree. However plank are sanded, they don't have much relief on them, old medieval style could have some slight height difference but surely not round.

Your brick is the best one so far, you just need color variation and destroy that ugly photoshop chisels crap. (Or actually even worse some place there seem to be 2 layer stack like you did dark line and lower opacity, but you didn't fix the corner)This is fine as a base but you need to paint over it. It'S really apparent. Brick have a certain texture to it, there's no straight line or blurry one,
  • pyczkowata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks !

This is my new texture. Please give me some comments and critique.

Thanks ;)

QuSCzj.jpg
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Way better !

However you made a crucial error that most people does, scratch, breaks, any damage have an history being them, you can't just randomly put them because they look nice :) For example if you have a major crack on a rock you can assume something heavy drop on it, which would mean that the others rock around would have a crack too.
    You also put some missing layers but they don't have a real purpose, i'm trying to think what could have create them, can't be acid because they aren't random they hare polygonal. so maybe a creature with polygonal feet that make rock melt ? Maybe add some small crack so they could be just chip from used time.

also don't put pure black for the ground, light aftect what's in the crack too, it's not total abyss.
  • Zurdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zurdge polycounter lvl 3
    Thought the first image was yours but is it reference? If so then I agree the last brick texture is the best. Nice to see other peoples hand painted work :)
  • pyczkowata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ! I try to correct this ;)

p.s brick texture is first that I ever painted ;)