Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Improvement Thread

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
I have been meaning to start this thread for awhile. I have been painting a lot more recently. Any feedback would be awesome.

Stuff from last year:
h7yaNw0.jpg
czoyKZB.jpg
YIb7AQG.jpg
wxtlDjy.jpg

Master Copy
Z0gkUEw.jpg
Based on this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Frederic_Edwin_Church_-_The_Natural_Bridge,_Virginia.jpg
By Frederic Edwin Church

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recent stuff:
    jpjUSkY.jpg
    f74S6Gj.jpg
    Sfqi5V0.jpg
    ZSBqABM

Some thumbs for an environment
    RFnolfQ.jpg
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno what this is yet. It is based off the tumbnail on the bottom row, 4th from the right.
    ZIYbLIZ.jpg
    Any feedback or ideas, let me know!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Some of your work, it seems the more you render it out the more noisy it gets.
    http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm#flatten_and_simplify

But this newest environment is shaping up really nice, looking forward to seeing more. :)
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Some of your work, it seems the more you render it out the more noisy it gets.
    http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm#flatten_and_simplify

But this newest environment is shaping up really nice, looking forward to seeing more. :)

Thanks for the feedback! I can definitely see what you are saying.

Here is the mostly finished piece. I don't think I will do much more with it.
    o3klTa1.jpg
    I think I struggled with selling the scale the most, not sure what the best way to go about fixing that is. Any feedback would be great.
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Hey I like the rendering but somehow feel like there is a missing story, Light coming from the trees.

Maybe people are living in them, then you could add everyday clutter, rafts, etc.
    or maybe foreigners are there harnessing the trees magical glow/vegetation
    or maybe there is something sinister in the water.

Or maybe you don't really care about the story, but then what kind of mood do you want to convey?

Just some things to think about. (I know you might not want to change this image too much so no pressure :) )

also the highlights in the water are cool but maybe you could try have the highlights get wider and blurrier the closer it is to the viewer. (no idea if this will work but i feel there is something there haha?)

edit:
    oh dear I clicked enlarge and noticed that what I thought were mushrooms were actually houses >_> my bad. Maybe what could help with the scale is add a person near that lightpost. Just to give reference to the scale. And slight atmosphere. Been racking my head trying to find ways to sell the scale lol, it's definitely tricky :poly114b:

Figure out why I felt the highlights could use some work. They are very linear and it breaks the perspective

hopefully someone more knowledgeable could jump in lol
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew wrote: »
    Hey I like the rendering but somehow feel like there is a missing story, Light coming from the trees.

Maybe people are living in them, then you could add everyday clutter, rafts, etc.
    or maybe foreigners are there harnessing the trees magical glow/vegetation
    or maybe there is something sinister in the water.

Or maybe you don't really care about the story, but then what kind of mood do you want to convey?

Just some things to think about. (I know you might not want to change this image too much so no pressure :) )

also the highlights in the water are cool but maybe you could try have the highlights get wider and blurrier the closer it is to the viewer. (no idea if this will work but i feel there is something there haha?)

Good points, thanks!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More stuffs I have been doodling with.
    Made changes to this guy based on some feedback, which I am done with for reals this time.
    USk3in1.jpg

Then some others:
    Bc8OYkf.jpg
    8vG5mkk.jpg
    wtEIEhv.jpg
    1jI5otM.jpg
    dn4Eyy3.jpg

As always, any crits are appreciated.