polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
capone polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• mobpapst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobpapst polycounter lvl 4
    try to export it the normal way without useing goZ. sometimes it ruins the sclae. as normal obj it shall work
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried and it's still wrong, the scale is wrong in Zbrush. I need to fix it there.
  • OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
    if you are not decimating just export from zbrush to 3dsmax, sclae it to where you want and export that as an obj, then load the new obj into zbrush. it will be the correct size when u bring it back to 3ds max. i also advise to not use goz, it can mees it up.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I wouldn't try to set the scale in zbrush. Its operations need to work with its own scale, not what you decide to use in an external application. If you require it having a certain scale once its finished, just scale it in Max afterwards. Otherwise you're going to throw off the behavior of various brushes, dynamesh, etc, for no real reason.

Side note: Depending on how you import the obj, zbrush should try and store the original imported scale of a model while temporarily resizing it for its own ideal. If you change the export scale values or do any scaling in zbrush then you're going to loose that number and have a bad time.

Maybe its just how Softimage handles things, but personally I've never had any scaling issues when sending objects back and forth using Subtool Master's Multi-append option.
  • Norstu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norstu polycounter lvl 8
    Here's how I work with it. Model rough base in Max at correct scale & GoZ to ZBrush. Once in ZBrush I use DynaMesh Master to quickly scale objects down for DynaMesh & scale back up afterwards to continue sculpting. When sending back to Max, I make sure that export scale is at 1 (by default GoZ always sets it to 100 for Max).
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses, all were different so there clearly is no universal answer. Just one of those things where you find what works best for you I guess?

OctoKube - I think this sounds the safest. Though doesn't this mean losing my subtools? (meaning I have to separate it again) I'm just going to miss using Goz, sometimes I wanted to make new pieces in max and use the Goz mesh as reference.

cryrid - when you say not to adjust scale in zbrush, do you mean even deformations? I've seen loads of tutorials where people use deformations. I think you mean attempting to correct overall scale in zbrush?

So you never use standard subtool>append? only multi-append? (never used that myself)

Norstu - My export is always set to 1 (in the pic I supplied it's set to 5 as a test). I'm not using dynamesh master, just normal dynamesh. I looked at the info page for it and it seems a bit daunting, are most people using this?

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?177194-DynaMesh-Master!-unofficial-Information-Installation
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so trying OctoKubes method and running into issues. I've exported my mesh but it's so incredibly tiny in max that I can't see it. Scaling it up in max doesn't help. I tried setting the zbrush export scale to 100 for giggles, still can't see it :/

edit : yet using Goz makes it show fine. Hmmm...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    cryrid - ... I think you mean attempting to correct overall scale in zbrush?
    Correct. I'll deform and transpose a mesh around as needed to sculpt on it, but not if I expect it to be spit out at a certain size/position (unless there's an untouched subtool used for reference).
    So you never use standard subtool>append? only multi-append? (never used that myself)
    I always multi-append when another app is involved. Its useful enough for importing several objects at once, but the way it goes about importing has never given me any issues. The only time I do a regular import is when I'm updating the UVs only, or if I know I'm going to unify the mesh soon anyway.
  • steverupia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steverupia null
    Hi guys.. am also experiencing the same problems but no solution yet?.. @Capone Did u finally manage to fix the scale issue.. Am really desperate for a clear cut answer
  • Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    cryrid wrote: »
    Side note: Depending on how you import the obj, zbrush should try and store the original imported scale of a model while temporarily resizing it for its own ideal. If you change the export scale values or do any scaling in zbrush then you're going to loose that number and have a bad time.
    AFAIK this works well when importing with regular import.

GoZ just imports mesh as-is, no scaling down at import, no scaling up at export.

If you append meshes with different scale inside of zbrush, it intelligently scales appended mesh to match the scale.
    16890272527_9ed880d011_c.jpg
    17096988211_e994d266b8_z.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zbrush inherits the scale from the first Subtool. Anything you append after that subtool is scaled and its recorded in the "Export" menu. When you export it is then re-scaled back to the import scale. Like Cryid said everything works better at ZB scale so the objective is to work at ZB scale without loosing your original import scale.

The most fool-proof method I know of is create a dummy mesh at the right scale. Export as obj. Import (not with Goz). Append whatever meshes you wish to that. You can delete the proxy mesh after that. After this initial process you can use Goz again because it gets the scale from your 1st Subtool. For long term projects I create Zbrush projects in Lightbox with dummy objects at the right scale to quickly inherit the right scale.

Since Zb 2.5 I have never ever had a scale issues (from my own meshes) this way.