Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Desert Environment

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ANıL İŞBİLİR polycounter lvl 8
I started a new project today. A Nevada style desert environment. I might start adding the points of interest tomorrow. Maybe a highway and a gas station, thinking about adding critters too.

3Ok3TyM.jpg
mrPxkvo.jpg

Replies

• ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jgr6aMK.jpg

New cactus models with spikes.
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • alecchalmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    -Mix the dirt onto the road more, maybe hide the edges of the road completely. Think, does someone regularly come out here to clean this road? It should probably be more dirty and worn than that. Try working into that road material some more, it resembles leather in some scenes.

-Rough up that fence a bit, it almost looks brand new.

-Less is more, you could stick about 4 or 5 cacti in the scene and have more of an impact.

-Get some subtle colour variation in there,try using some material functions to add colour variety in the plants.

The scene in Hourences UDK asset dev 1 tutorial is very similar to this and might help somewhat, but it's probably not worth buying those tutorials now as they quite old. He does a nice job with the desert road in that scene.
  • alecchalmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What reference are you using?

It's important to have good reference in a scene like this. Take a look at this photo, and see how sparse it is, and yet the foliage is still composed effectively in the scene:
    nevada1.jpg
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply. I know its an overkill with the cacti there, I just hurried to get the assets in the scene. Now that I have a basic scene setup, I should definitely experiment with the assets. Also the landscape itself can do with more subtle details. I should definitely have some color variation with everything including the vegetation.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    What reference are you using?

It's important to have good reference in a scene like this. Take a look at this photo, and see how sparse it is, and yet the foliage is still composed effectively in the scene:
    nevada1.jpg
    Not all desert is so sparse though. Like you said, the composition/integration of everything in the environment is what makes it effective, and that's why good reference is so important. However I don't think a "less is more" foliage approach necessarily improves his scene, it just needs more work :)
    arizona_cactus_04.jpg

I think it's coming along nicely! A few things:
    The dirt could use some color and value variation, as well as being darker and more saturated overall. It looks washed out atm. Try to think about how everything would look if you lit it 100% flat, that's the value your albedo should be. It tends to be darker than you may initially believe!
    Which engine version are you running? This scene would really benefit from the new foliage model (or if its already using it, it needs tweaking) and distance field shadows/ao.
    The thing I think needs the most work is the integration aspect I referred to. The foliage doesn't look like it grew out of the ground, but more like it juts out or was placed there. This could be mitigated by some color blending at the base of them, adding a bit of the landscapes dirt color. Other than the juxtaposition of greenish foliage on reddish dirt, there's a juxtaposition of detail. The foliage has high complexity, compared to the ground textures which are simple. They lack the high frequency that one expects from a rocky arid desert. I think more detailed textures on the landscape, and clear variation of texture (ie cracked ground may blend to sand, which may blend to rocky sand IRL) will go a long way.

Hopefully I'm getting everything across clearly. Keep it up man!
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. New landscape and material. Now the rock formations have rubble beneath them.

6YiubTU.png
    FjhSRc6.png
    BCPenlA.png
    34yD44R.png
    aNVu1r9.png
    5prOCFX.png
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Your cacti look a little too angular and low poly looking. This also a bit nit-picky but the Saguaro Cactus doesn't grow in Nevada.
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your cacti look a little too angular and low poly looking. This also a bit nit-picky but the Saguaro Cactus doesn't grow in Nevada.

I know, I might add a LOD level to them, don't know why I used fever polys. It's not actually a specific landscape, I'm referencing varying terrains all over the world now.
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey,

You made very good improvements. Sure, the cactuses could use more polys, and be less flat at their top and you can always add more variation in the rocks and vegetation. But overall you have a solid base.

What was your process for the rock formations?
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 wrote: »
    Hey,

You made very good improvements. Sure, the cactuses could use more polys, and be less flat at their top and you can always add more variation in the rocks and vegetation. But overall you have a solid base.

What was your process for the rock formations?

Thanks, I projected the UVs for the rock walls from the sides, and used a rubble texture for the polys facing up. It's something similar to the box UV option in 3ds Max. Look up absolute world position node for Unreal mat editor. I might post my material setup later if you like.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Your shadows on the foliage look very blackish. Do you have a skylight in your map? if no then add one.
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes Anıl, I'm always curious to see a good material setup, please share :)
  • mhofever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mhofever polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good so far, the cacti look stiff though, and the style of them doesnt seem to fit the scene. If you take a look at some reference images, you'll notice they have a subtle lean and small variety in thickness in different parts of the stem. They also seem to dark, brighten the albedo diffuse a little bit with a hint of greenish yellow, that'll make them fit in more.
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 wrote: »
    Yes Anıl, I'm always curious to see a good material setup, please share :)

2JB7Na9.jpg
    Here. It generates two UVs for the vertical parts. Projecting the textures from xz and yz planes (using rb and gb nodes) then it combines them using a mask (previewing the mask in the screenshot).

I2cBxJC.jpg
    Then, using a similar technique it blends a rubble texture projected vertically (from the xy plane) with the first setup.

Qx9slMQ.png
    VuPjExi.png
    xsgcg1o.png
    MgVvzD6.png
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made major progress on foliage lighting, skylight was causing the dark foliage problem. Added few assets, planning to add much more.

abeHOBE.png
    IDFSDWg.png
    PqGMwIx.png
    og73fHj.png
    i7Ire0Y.png
    NFBNQzk.png
    cfeK3MX.png
    txuAKeD.png
    FjN43ah.pngTkJBXyU.png
  • JasonW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good so far, but you need to work on the colour of the plant tone down the saturation, and saturation of the blue
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Not bad, not bad at all. I can almost here an Ennio Merricone number playing just looking at it

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZjvbSC9_M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZjvbSC9_M[/ame]

Nice job!
  • alecchalmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking awesome, I especially like that last one. The DOF works really well with the foliage in the foreground, almost like a photograph! Are you gonna do a damage pass on that barrier?

If you want more color variation in the foliage, I've used this method before and it it works great.You can set a realistic/subtle color range and then the foliage changes depending on where you place it, even if it's only a tiny bit. Really satisfying for large environments with foliage. Sorry the video is in UDK, but I think it works alright in UE4.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2fN9r4MfLY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2fN9r4MfLY[/ame]
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the graph Anıl. The result looks great!
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 wrote: »
    Not bad, not bad at all. I can almost here an Ennio Merricone number playing just looking at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZjvbSC9_M

Nice job!

Thanks, I might use something similar in the video, or maybe a Fallout 2 soundtrack.
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Few more tweaks and I'm going to call it finished. Video coming soon.

yPoWYzl.png
    ZJwHooX.png
    mClVKIf.png
    2q5OyE8.png
    FEzRpqP.png
    D9SXHOj.png
    ibygctf.png
    BdIXMP2.png
    96aD984.png
    9Z1IWDW.png
    tfvmbfN.png
    gBB2A4D.png
    uEwlJ3U.png
    ktUhaFO.png
    8Tep6XS.png
    Kbyof0A.png
  • Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Nice job men, The light is good !
  • YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    Get some more reference for the mountains, you're missing out on a huge opportunity to add color to the scene.

The Landscape is looking nice really nice though.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Tone down on the blur effect infront of the camera. I get, a little bit is fine, but geeze, you put a well that covers half the screen infront of us, then you blur it to hell. Why and I looking at something that takes half the screen that I cannot even see? You have several images that are like this. I get it, you learned how to use the camera effect. That's great but your over doing it.
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Pretty damned cool! It should be noted that heat refraction has a much higher frequency noise ala

14678459.jpg

It also "sticks" to the ground, as it's a function of temperature difference (ground soaks up sun, gets extra hot versus air well above the ground).

Still, good job overall.
  • ANıL İŞBİLİR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 wrote: »
    Pretty damned cool! It should be noted that heat refraction has a much higher frequency noise ala

14678459.jpg

It also "sticks" to the ground, as it's a function of temperature difference (ground soaks up sun, gets extra hot versus air well above the ground).

Still, good job overall.

Thanks. Thats right, I'm actually using a particle system for that right now, I should switch to a screen effect, that would be much easier to control.
  • Marceloboy1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, great job!!!

Could you please make some terrain texturing tutorial? I've tried a few but the results in not even close to yours.

Thanks!!!