Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steampunk Rifle Need Critique!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
Hello everyone! This is my first post to this forum. I'm a High School 3D artist and i'd really like some critique on this model. This is my first real model in 3DS Max after I went through some very basic UI tutorials, learned in lightwave at school:thumbdown: Any comments, or ideas would be appreciated! This rifle is still a WIP as well.
HSHCjkf

Replies

• THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    First bit of feedback is to upload your images to some kind of image hosting site (I use imgur) and then use the url from the image site with Insert Image. It will show your images in full size in your post, instead of being a thumbnail. Makes it easier for people to view your stuff. For video, use Vimeo, since you can embed that in your post as well instead of having a link just sitting there.

For the gun itself, so far it looks too sci-fi. However, it is untextured, and steampunk gets a lot of its feel from its textures, so you may not need to do anything with your design. I would recommend more hoses/tubes, and stuff that at a glance would look useless. Think gears, corrugated hoses, pressure meters, rivets, air tanks, etc.
  • THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    steampunk_sniper_rifle_by_vanbangerburger-d4pw7e5.jpg

stuff like this. Even though it has a sci fi look to it, the little extras say "steampunk"
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Nice work! That's a pretty solid start. I agree with THendersonVFX that it looks more sci fi than steampunk at the moment. To me however, the gun silhouette is as crucial as the textures to convey its relevance in a steampunk world.

I'd look at some older gun designs for reference, and definitely several games that have done so namely, Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite.

I look forward to see how this turns out!
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    here's a little update on some of the work I did today, still just adding in some things that give it more of a steampunk feel. Also fixed the barrel from last time, it just looked too weird. qrP6CgW.jpg