Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Animation reel - David Gustafsson

bejkon
polygon
Offline / Send Message
bejkon polygon
Sup! Figured I make a reel thread aswell. Please watch it through vimeo since HD is not available when embedding. https://vimeo.com/119330893

[vv]119330893[/vv]

Critique and comments are appreciated. I think I'm gonna remove the fps animation and most of the DmC stuff when I have new shots ready. Maybe cut the shotgun dude aswell if I make something better cause it's not very exciting. Gonna see if I can find some sweet creature rigs or try some challenge myself with multiple characters next.

Thanks for watching!

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Oh man, great reel!

Agreed though. You should remove the FPS stuff. Definitely by far your weakest stuff. It certainly brings down the reel in terms of excitement.

Your other stuff though. great job! Just 2 nit picky things, which are just personal preference.

The t-rex, the guy feels a tad bit floaty in mid air, I think you could probably remove a frame or two towards the peak. seems to slow down right at the peak.

Standing on the raptor, the characters right foot looks floaty due to the shadow under his foot. Might want to try and lock that down a bit better, but i understand it being hard with how the raptor is moving under him.

Great stuff though!
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    I like the Javelin throw, and the jump attack best. The Javelin throw in particular has some nice weight to it, and I like the reaction of the victim as well

I feel like the strikes in the first piece could be strengthened a bit. In particular the anticipation for the second hit feels like he's about to attack in front of him, but then at the last second he hits the guy up against the column to his side. If you want to smash the guy into the column his anticipation should say "I'm about to smash this guy into the column"

The biggest thing that stuck out to me about this reel is the guy balancing the knife on his finger(!?) Why would you ever do that? Knives hurt! o_O

Not really sure what to say about the second half of the reel, it looks pretty good, but it's hard to tell what you did specifically even with the text
  • bejkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    Cheers guys, much appreciated!

That settles it, I'm taking out the FPS animation next week since I think vimeo only allows one HD upload per week. They are trying hard to get people to buy their plus service...

For the trex shot I tried to exaggerate the hangtime but it's tricky to find the sweetspot. A frame more or less can make it or break it! I'll see if I get around to tweak it.

Archanex you have a good point with the smashing in the column. I think the problem is that when I watched an animation like hundred times I kinda unsee stuff like that but might look odd for a first time viewer. The direction of the anticipation is a bit unclear and the viewer doesn't really know where the threat is coming from. The second red block just appear a bit to conveniently for getting smashed:)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    The hang time isnt really the problem. I think its because the whole body slows down. Like, it stops spinning as fast. if the spin kept the same speed but kept the same hang time, i think that would work. And it really is a personal decision on it. It's just my 2 cents and you should definitely do it how you want. It's your reel. But for me, because the rest of the shot is pretty realistic, and the t-rex doesnt slow down at the same time or anything, so its not a time warp, it just feels a bit off. It's a killer piece regardless, even if you left it like that. Just nitpicking at this point.