Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Clap Trap WIP Help needed

HomeGrownHeroz
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
HomeGrownHeroz polycounter lvl 6
Hi there,

I was hoping for some assistance on this project I'm trying to get finished. It's my first proper attempt at creating a model using toolbag 2 in mind for rendering and I'm struggling on getting a good spec and gloss map working... so apologies for being the latest person to ask this question. I've read up a lot but am still struggling to apply what (I think) I've learned into practice. I've seen a lot of examples where some people have colour in their spec maps (depending on the surface type being either dielectrics or conductors) and then maps that are generally just black/whites/greys. What I'm having trouble understanding though is how to configure my spec/gloss maps without it affecting the base colours in my albedo map (at least too much). Once I apply a base spec map it just seems to wash the colour from whatever part of the mesh I'm trying to reflect properly.

Here's a shot of my model currently with just the albedo and ao map applied.

3aUk6ji.jpg

Any help with this or just feedback in general would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
    Nice Job 😀

You could also use a metallic map instead of a specular.
    I think it would work good on this one.
    And then get all crazy on your roughness.

Can you post youre texture sheets? So we can see whats going on. :)
  • Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    Cant help with out you posting the maps.
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry my bad, forgot about the maps :poly105: (the normal map was also applied in toolbag 2). So at the moment, my consistent working maps are my albedo, ao and normal. Generally, when trying to play around with the spec and gloss maps, I have just duplicated the albedo, and adjusted the hue/saturation and levels, and then just tried to play around with the lights and darks to try and get the proper reflection depending on the material type. Please do correct me if that's a poor starting point for creating spec maps but from what I've seen online, it appears to be common practice or a starting point. I have looked at metalness map approaches but as I have a range of materials requiring different reflective values, (painted metal, steel, rubber, glass etc.) am I right in assuming that a specular map is a suitable approach also?

6K3hQN2.jpg
  • Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    Well, i cant recommend duping the albedo. I recommend the metalness map here. And for making a spec etc. start with sections filling in basic parts then go back and make it more complex. Also. study other artist in PBR and look at there maps and study how they look. Also, the albedo. remember. your paints are pretty white. if you want a more metal look make it darker
    1. http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice
    2. This is also really good. http://artisaverb.info/PBT.html
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    How low poly is this right now? (you should post one shot with a wireframe).

So I would say you have a good start but it's looking a bit flat to me. It may just be because of the lighting but I think you could definitely push the indentations around the plates and the cracks you have. Also, shadows aren't ever just black, they have a bit of color in them, adding even the tiniest bit of color will definitely help bring some life back into your textures.

You could maybe also try denting the metal a bit too to add some visual interest? Just subtly though. The only reason I say that is because the screens it has are cracked so it would make more sense if the model as a whole was a bit beat up not just the two screens.

As far as the spec approach goes, I would personally go metallness map on this model. It'll look a lot better IMO. Either approach you go though I would definitely look into adding more dirt information in the spec or metalness map. Think about where it would've been touched or scuffed or anything. Grease and grime decreases highlights and will really push your model to the next level visually.

Lastly, a note on the presentation: I think you could do without showing the straight-on side angle for future shots, it doesn't really help display your model any better than your other angles at all, I would just show the other two angles you have. Just a few thoughts! Like I said though great start, you've got some really tight details which I definitely like.
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to those who have offered their insight :)

Many have began suggesting a metalness approach which I'll take into consideration. How can this be used in conjunction with my other materials on the same map? Am I correct in assuming that I would need to create a metal material separately and then apply that material to any parts of the mesh that are metallic rather than working solely in one material?

@Stranger. Thanks for the links, I did read the pbr in practice one previously but unfortunely still left a bit confused :poly134: I will give the other a read.

@nickcomeau. Currently the model is at 7956 tris. Wireframe shot below. You made some interesting comments about the shadows and dents etc. So far I've just tried to follow the concept as closely as I can which I've also posted.

jvEskba.jpg

PEiW0TC.jpg
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you're going for a bit higher poly model instead of baking in all the edges and things then? Just was curious :) Looks clean!
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well all of my normal information has come from NDO. For this project, I didn't use a high poly as such because I wanted to see how much I could get from NDO. The main body itself is 764 tris. The bulk of the polycount is mainly from the tire, arms and camera lens. They were originally lower but I wanted to spend more polys there as smoothing the normals of the edges only took me so far.
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought i'd post up my progress. Just been building up the gloss and specular maps. Still lots to do though.

gWuLO3M.jpg
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that the painted metal is looking great! The arms and tire are still looking too clean though. Also, you should push the camera lens more. Give it a nice spec and some reflectivity. Like this for example: http://hdwallpapers360.com/wp-content/uploads/camera-lenses-wallpapers.jpg

Keep up the good work it's headed in the right direction :) Definitely going to be cool piece when it's finished!
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update. Just been tweaking values and trying to get this finished off. Added some dirt/mud splatters to the wheel and mud guard areas.

n7CcAY0.jpg
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    "Aaaaaand open!"

It looks a heck of a lot like claptrap. Maybe a very clean claptrap, and the arms... well here's IRL statue Claptrap for comparison

18j3aiqqtotcpjpg.jpg
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @locator16 Cheers for that reference. You are right it probably isn't dirty enough. I decided earlier to get it to a point I was happy with and take what I've learned and move on. This was my first attempt at a PBR based work flow and I'm fairly happy with what I've learned during the project. If anyone's got any crits or feedback I'd love to hear them so I can always apply it to future projects :)

s9IXMVb.jpg

eNTddmL.jpg
  • Earthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthyn polycounter lvl 2
    Brilliant!! Picture perfect man good job on this!
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message